how do u transfer a mysql database of IPB2.0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

v930

In Runtime
I have a friend that is in need of support if someone is able to help him please do. Thank you again. He types:

I am changing my webhost...well....i have an IPB 2.0.4 and i want to transfer my forum to my new webhost...well the MySql database holds all of the members info and posts ect....so i need to know how to get my database and forum from 1 host to another....so i think i have to download or export my database and "install" it to the next host
A detailed tutorial would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS if you can help me out !!
-Jordan
AIM: grillman6000
MSN: jordan954r@hotmail.com

If he has phpMyAdmin, the easiest way would be to export the database (just have him save it on his desktop somewhere) as something.sql. Then he will want to backup the forum directory (desktop is fine as well).

Next he will need to create a database on the new server (with preferably the same username and password). If they are different, he will have to edit config_global.php to reflect the changes.

Then you just import the old database into the new one and upload all the old files.

Most good web host tech support/ customer service reps will be available to help transfer files/databases from the old server to the new one, without a fee. So if he needs help, he can just ask them, and they should help him with the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom