Hosting a website over lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
I know there is a way to do it, but google has failed me, i can't seem to get a straight answer. So any ideas how i could go about doing it? Just need the computers over the network to access it, i thought it would be fun to mess around with over my march break.

Yeah, that would be the one you want. You can see all the stuff you get with that package. In time you might want to install what you need seperately on a non-windows machine but xampp provides an excellent development environment and will do fine for internal hosting.

Just to make sure. I can say make a site in front page, and some how use this to host it? how does it work exactly? do i just drop the html code some where, press a host button and done? or what?

There is a base directory - maybe C:\xampp\htdocs\ if one does not exist already put a plain text file in there and call it index.html. Then go to your browser and load up http://localhost/ That should load your index.html. I assume that frontpage allows you to select where you start a project, if it does simply put it in the base directory.

Once your page is in that directory it will be available straight away without having to restart the service.

^thanks for the help mate. I threw together a quick web page just for testing when it finish's downloading. (i have dial up)

Front page is really old btw... there are a lot of free alternatives that are probably better. I'll come back and link to a few if I remember, but g2g right now.

very old and throws in all sorts of unnecessary nasties. night and day when compared to a wysiwyg

I know, but i have some experience with it, and it is easy to use. Plus, im not trying to make a professional website, just one that looks fair and serves its purpose. I'm making some photo shop stuff for it right now, and it should look rather nice.It still is not finished download. It canceled in the middle a few times, i think it will finish this time, it has 1.5 hours left...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom