Hosting sites with dynamic IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

U-Toast

Fully Optimized
hosting sites on dynamic DNS

Well i was bored, and found out something cool today, so il put this up for search's sake in the future (if any1 searches dynamic dns or sumthing )

Ok, so u want to host ur site on ur own server, but u have a dynamic ip. few things u can do:

1st of all, go to ur router settings, and look for an option called DDNS (linksys have this). In the drop down menu, select DynDns.
Befor you go on, you must create an account on dyndns.com. choose a user, pass, and a subdomain (which u will use later).

Back to the router settings, once u select DynDNS in the menu, itl ask for user, pass and host name. put in the user/pass from dyndns, then put the adress of the sub domain u chose in ur account. Then select finished or w/e u have there. Now, ur router automatically updates ur acnt on dyndns.com so itl always have the right ip.

Now that this is done, u can simply use this subdomain as ur site, or if u purchased a domain online, simply choose its destination to be the subdomain u made on dyndns.com

IF you do not have DDNS option in your router, you can either:
1. go to the update client section on dyndns https://www.dyndns.org/support/clients/ then find a p[rogram that suits you. Set it up to the correct settings. Now if u keep this program running all the time itl update ur ip automatically if it changes.

2. go to www.no-ip.com create an account, then download the no-ip DUC. This is basically the same as dyndns, just an other option.

If i think of anything else that can be usefull, ill add it, if u have any recommendations, please tell me, il add it.

That's what I use to host my site. I use the second option, updating DynDNS through a client program. Only bad thing is it checks it's IP once every 5 min, so I could portenially have 5 min of downtime. Other than that, hats off to dynDNS for a great free service. BTW, I think no ip send popups when it resovles requests.

If you having a dynaminc IP, it changes when u reconnect, so when ever u switch router off for somewierd reason, jsut update the program or w/e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom