Do you have any suggestions for wmv hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

leanna

Solid State Member
We are about to launch (as soon as we can figure out who should host it) a 60-hour gmat course by full-screen (!) streaming video. It's very important that the student see everything, because the teacher teaches with a whiteboard, and draws and writes all over it. (Just like in a class.) But the compression is just less than 400kbps and there are, as I said, 60 hours of lessons. Also, the students will come from anywhere, all over the world. How do I choose a hosting service? What type of mirroring do we need? What else do I need to know? We want to keep the videos in wmv format. Are we wrong? PLEASE ANSWER AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

WOW... Are you planning on spending some money?
What you are planning to do, seems like it will cost.... You need a powerful hosting and trusting provider!

BUT, I would, with out a doubt... contact this company:
http://www.mirror-image.com/

Your wanting something that most providers will not be able to handle.... but Mirror Image can.

Good Luck

Thank you. I have left a message for them to contact me. If anyone else has any suggestions, or if you have any other suggestion, I would be very happy.
Thank you very much.
Leanna

Reliable

Without a doubt, if you are looking for a reliable company for superb Technical Support, its a company called GWSOL.

http://gwsol.com

They did wonders with me...

Thank you for your note - I looked at gwsol.com but they offer much too little memory than I need. Even 10 GB of memory and 100 GB of bandwidth is too little. Think of 60 full hours, in which every second is 300+ kbps.
That's also why I can't host it on our computers.
Thank you. If anyone has any more ideas, I still need help.
Leanna

Dear Nix,
What is EDU/Tx/OCxx ? What does it mean? How do I look for it? Is it only through friends that it is available?
Leanna

Leanna, you best bet will be mirrage image or similar companies.
What you need is a content provider.

What your wanting to do requires lots of bandwidth, storage, reliability, etc. Most regular web hosting providers will not even come close to meeting you needs.

I would be very interest in what Mirrage Image had to say, if they can't help you.

I don't know, but I did know at one point Mirror Image had flexible pricing. Meaning, they only charged as much as a customer used.

not sure if they have upfront fees (I would not think so, but probably), surely they have monthly fees based on services provided.

Either way, what Leanna is wanting to do is not "easy". Well, there are ways of doing it "cheaply", but your results will more than likely NOT be what you want.

Sending hour long videos on the web, on demand, for multiple users.... that is a job for SUPER MAN :)

Hi everybody,
We have a few hundred dollars a month, probably not more. I couldn't find Mirrage Image on the net. Tell me exactly what to search for. I don't even know what size bandwidth I need from the host, or what size memory I need. But the potential students will be required to have broadband of one type or another, maybe like DSL. The 60 hours will sell for less than $300- so the budget is just shoestring. But the quality should be good as the photography and the editing and compressing were fine, and the teaching, of course, is amazing. HELP!!!

Okay... lets see if I can help a little more :)

1) You have a classes/sections/lessons/etc. that total 60 hours.
2) You will have a website in which many people can view these lessons... and at the same time
3) so more or less you will have videos on demand?

Does that sum up what you need to do?

So, you have 60 hours of video on a hard drive(s). Not sure how many gigs that is, but IT IS A LOT.

Obviously, streaming is the only way to effeciently allow people to view the videos via the web.

At a minimum, you need a hosting provider who
a) has enough storage capacity
b) has GREAT connections to the web
c) can handle many users at once
d) can stream video and do it well

at a budget of less than $300, its not looking good.

You can't find Mirror Image on the net....
http://www.mirror-image.com/

the url does work :)

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom