DNS Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhatcore

Solid State Member
Okay, a breef(sp?) backgrond:

I'm only 14 and have limited support to certain tools, so please don't tell me I should choose something else...

Ok, the problem:

I want to learn as much as possible before I hit that age where I have to do something with my life--- so I've decided to try to host some friend's web sites. I'm in no way trying to make a professional, or even secure setup here. But I'm having trouble. My plan is to give my friends FTP accounts to folders where they can store the information and such and use .tk domains to forward to it. I do not have a main domain(http://www.computerfourms.org type of thing) yet only an IP--- this has worked fine in the past. Now, .tk domains only allow a web site to be forwarded once, to get around this--- I need to make those things(lol not sure what to call them really(why im here) but those thingys like... media.somesite.com) so that it is a differnt site.

Now, using Win2k3(server system) I've added verious roles to my server--- and have found my way around most every(I'm a normal Apache user, but I think I can handle IIS). Anywho, I have made this subdomain type thingy successfuly, but, it simply forwards to the same site as the primary one(my IP, or, locally, my computer's domain).

What I need to know:

I need to know how to setup my DNS server(perferably through the management console or w/e) to do the following:

http://www.brent.(MyIP)/

Needs to read it's data(the web site) off of

wwwroot/brent

What I've done so far, and anything information that may help anyone willing to assist me:

I've gone in my DNS server through 'Manage Your Server' and made a new Host named brent that goes to 192.168.2.4(my internal IP) and there is no option for a spasific(sp?) directory to read from... I'm using Windows Server 2003 Standard, any help would be apreshated(sp?), thank you.

Oh, also my computer is configed as:

DNS
Application Server
File Server
Mail Server(POP3, SMTP)
Domain Controller:)D for my small home network! lol)
DHCP

Thanks again,

--RedHatCore(not an often linux user, but love the OS ;) )

Here's a thought: go to findmeawebhost.com, pick a hosting company you like that offers reseller hosting, pay the whatever it is a month and sell hosting space for extra cash. You can do it at 14, I know for a fact host gator accepts paypal, or used to.. and to register a .com godaddy takes cash. :)

**Edit - forgot you said you can't use anything else, but your limited tools might allow you to use that. I've never tried a home server, I doubt it's any good at all to use.

I don't think your problem is DNS, but the fact that your running a home server is probably not helping because you haven't had the experience to know what you're doing.

... I know... i'm doing this so that in the real world... i know what I'm doing.. i need help! I know it's possible...

Hey RedHatCore,

You need to register your own domain name first. Then you can setup various NS records for that domain on whatever server hosts your DNS. You can host it yourself on Win2k3 fairly easily with open source DNS software, but unless your machine generates a lot of traffic, few DNS servers will ever request information from your DNS server, thus propagation time for your domain will be extremely slow (in the order of a few weeks). I'd suggest that, when you register with a DNS registrar, you register with one that will also let you control the hosting of your own DNS via their servers, that way, when someone enters theirspace.yourdomain.tk, they will get a result in a few hours after you make the change to your DNS zone file, rather than a few weeks of domain not found errors.

So, in summary, it is possible... you need a domain name first... and hosting your own DNS server will most likely be extremely slow. Let me know if you have any questions. :) Although my time here is extremely limited, I'll try to answer ASAP.

Kk, I figured that out and registerd with web.com, my domain was active pretty fast through there NS's but when i switched it to mine, it doesn't work, and it's been around 3-4 days since i switched it...

Using a DNS server that you setup yourself could take > 3 weeks for complete DNS propagation of your domain zone file info throughout the world... until your DNS server gains more popularity among DNS servers, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom