creating a forum website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
I know it's been a while, but my profession does not allow time to do the things I once loved. so here's the post!

I recently was designated Technical Coordinator of my local 4x4 club. first task: get a website up and running. has to be a forum. so, I researched, and I am leaning on two options. vBulletin is my first and foremost option. due to costs, however, I have been forced to look at cheaper alternatives. thus, SimpleMachinesForums *SMF*. What truly is the difference? I have been to ForumMatrix and could see very few differences between the two besides cost.

I am wanting to at least get a preview up of SMF to showcase for the members of the club, but from what I've seen I will need to get a running version up by getting the software to the server. seems like I will need to make the decision for SMF, again, price restrictions. so I downloaded SMF, I do not have any accesses to the domain name for my site. I am renting space from my affiliated computer company for $10, the domain name is already been bought and registered. I type in the address, and I get the infamous message "website not found". I imagine that it brings that up because it's not setup. how do I gain access? I, quite frankly, have not had as much experience running a site as I would have liked. I have plenty of hdd space here to store information, I have all the resources I think I would need. I just need to get a quick idea of where to start.
have software
need to get something to show the admin of my club
need to get a working template up and on the web

thanks, as always

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom