Creating a forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal

In Runtime
Hello ,my friend and I would lke to create a forum using vBulletin or phpBB but theres not the infos that I need on their site.
Id like to know if a forum can be hosted from a computer or do I need a server or something? And what is PHP 4.3.3 and MySQL 4.0.16 ?
Thanks

You can host a forum from a home PC, but unless you have a pretty good connection I wouldn't bother. You'll need to install Apache, PHP, and MySQL on your box. There are several WAMPS (Windows Apache MySQL PHP) to do this such as AppServ or XAMPP (XAMPP also includes Perl).

PHP is a scripting language that pretty much all forum software uses. It needs an interpreter to run which is what "PHP 4.3.3" is, it's the version of the interpreter. MySQL is a database software using the SQL (structured query language) language. It is used to store users, posts, and many many other things in forums. 4.0.16 is the version of MySQL.

Keep in mind that both those versions you listed are quite out dated, and you should move on to PHP 5.2.6 and MySQL 5.0.67 or newer.

A host is quite cheap. You can get a host at GoDaddy.com for around 5$ a month I think that will do everything that you want. I personally use HostGator.com and I pay $9.99 a month, but I like to have the extra junk. Plus I thought GoDaddy was pretty slow, but it does have good value.

Also keep in mind that vBulletin costs like $180 a year, whereas phpBB is free.

thanks ,so if Im understanding ,I could use phpBB for free and using a webhoster for 5$/month - lets say HostGator.com .
But for the forum to run ,I need to install the 3 components of a WAMP on my pc ,i get all this together to work and I can run a forum ?

If you go with a host like HostGator or whatever, you don't need anything installed on your PC. You only need a WAMP if you are going to host it yourself off your own PC.

You'll also need a domain if you go with a host, which are usually around $10 a year (though HostGator has really high priced domains, so I usually buy mine at GoDaddy).

You need to be well-prepared if you want to succeed. First and foremost you should build unique forum web site and as for forum software I advise you to use vBulletin. Than you should do a search on the web hosting providers and domain registrars. As for recommendation, check out eurodns as it offers nice extensions to register at not very expensive price. As for the hosting provider, look at serverpoint - you will be completely satisfied being hosted with this company. They never sell overshared network as many other hosts do, so your sites will be always up and very fast. Then you should optimize and promote your forum web site and generate traffic to it. Forum signature will be helpful... good luck...

vBulletin is pretty much the software of choice for large forums. However, like I said, it is expensive.

Free stuff like phpBB, SMF, punBB etc can do everything that vBulletin can do, so it's not really worth the money unless you have a large userbase like this forum.

Reseller means that you could technically sell off part of your hosting and make a profit yourself. Shared Hosting you can not. ;)

I know the owner of that hosting company. He is a good guy.

Reseller means that you could technically sell off part of your hosting and make a profit yourself. Shared Hosting you can not. ;)

I know the owner of that hosting company. He is a good guy.

Hosting companies are fun to deal with, I have belittled so many administrators for not understanding the meaning of "proper uptime" (100% isn't too much to ask :p, maybe).
However I am currently with a rather reliable hosting company (finally! the company is Bluehost). Mak what companies do you have experience with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom