Building a Server.. Newbie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Hellow Gyes and thanks for any Help with this.. Ive Built PCs, Repaired them, Upgraded them many Times over the Years.. But I know nothing about Building a Server for Hosting..

Over the Years ive amased a Vast Range of Softwere from Many Different Sources, Freewere, Sharewere, and Many different Upgrades for the Softwere ect, new Versions ect: Am woundering if a was to Build Some sort of Host, for the Vast Collection.. What would be Involved..

What sort of Tech, would it be Expencive, is it Different from Desktop, Laptop Structures.. I know you can get NAS but the Disks can easly Overload threw Read Write ect..

I can Imagine that Depending on what Tech was Involved, abit like a Mid Range to High End System for Gamers for eg, the Cost would vary..

Even them When you have got the Harwere up and Running, what Sort of Softwere for the System are you looking at? Such as Hosting the Website, to give access to the Softwere.. Would you have to Upgrade your Internet Connection to handle Greater Speeds for the Traffic?

Any Help on the Gyes would be Appreciated, you can see my Knowelege is verry Limited...

Thanks..

when your spec'ing out a new server, you will need to analyze and predict how the system will be used ... along with what your budget, resources, and capabilities are.

what are you planning to host?

what software is required? recommendations from the vendor can help.

how many users?

whats the capacity of your hardware? cpu, memory, storage, network ... the hardware can be modified to accommodate these needs.

a common buzz word in the community is The Cloud. a primary reason for this is because now we can pay for only the resources we need ... as opposed to running a suped up server that is under utilized for sake of performance. There's trade offs though. There's less control because usually someone else is maintaining the hardware. This can also increase time to resolve issues. Their support staff may not always be able to fix problems as quickly as you could if the hardware was located in house.

it will take experience to perfect your skills. keep working, reading, learning. experiment with your systems by trying new things. find opportunities and take advantage of them.

I'm actually in the process of doing a whs (windows home server) or server 2008 vm ware workstation build. Just experiment and have fun, that's what I plan on doing. It's how they discovered half the stuff computers can do.

If you want a VM beast you would need a bare metal hypervisor. that way you'd have less host OS overhead. there's something called vmware esxi hypervisor that's free or you can get hyperv server from MS, however the vmware offering is much more robust and stable. you cna upgrade to vcenter or vsphere and have enterprise level controls. I highly recommend that for a vm beast!

thanks remixedcat, I'll def look into that. WHS for some reson after the standard install boots to a server 2003 blue screen to install that and wont take my disc or go any further so I may just use server 2008. OMG why do I do this to myself. This is all by the way to kind of practice for what I want to really do in life

You're welcome! ;-)

the reason that 2003/xp based OSes won't install is they need SATA drivers pre loaded and microsoft had to make it require a floppy disk ;-(

you can slipstream, however that OS is very dated now it's best to have 2008/R2 for windows servers.

one of my fiends just gave me his old dell e510, It has 512kn ddr2 mem, pentiun D 2.8ghz processor, etc. Figure I stick some more memory in there and a couple of IDE hard drives I have laying around and pop server 2008 on it. I am having the hardest difficulty running it as a separate ip address through vm ware workstation on one of my computers. I'll start a new thread and get some input on how to do it.

if you want to only run VMs on the machine you would be best off using esxi or vsphere. those are bare metal hypervisors. they run with no OS overhead so the VM is able to run faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom