Big help, making an FTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

psp_crazy1

Daemon Poster
Yep. I forget about FTP's, i set one up, but it was like 2 years ago. I got a few questions.

1 - Can I host it on my computers hard drive, but yet let it be acessable to people outside my network?

2 - What OS should I use? Ubuntu server 64 bit?

3 - Can I host some... "shared" files without the cops on my tail?

4 - I'm a noob, so take it easy on me, and get me a good site :(

So yea, if I cant host it on my HDD, I can spend MAX 25 a month, is that enough, for maybe 10 people and 20 GB max storage?

1 - Yes. Use no-ip.org so people can access your ftp with a domain name instead of IP.
2 - You can use any OS as long you can find a ftp server for it. I used to use Serv-U for windows.
3 - If you protect the FTP with password and only tell your friends you should have no problems.

Regarding the number of users some servers have the option to establish quotas for users. If a user downloads a certain amount of data in a day the ftp server will block that user for that day.

Good luck.

thanks a lot man. What OS do you reccomend? I'm just afraid of hackers, and I bet windows server is more vulnerable than ubuntu 64 bit. Since im not looking for a free FTP server, I'm glad i can go out and find a decent one. I've used no-ip.org before, but it was for IRC. I'm sure a few guys could help me out that I know, setting this up

I only used the ftp server so I could access to my files when I was in University, so I wasn't worried about hackers because I never told anybody the address of the server.
I always heard that linux was more safe than windows so if you are worried about hackers maybe it's best if you use linux, but that's only my opinion.

+Install the OS and FTP server
+Forward the proper ports (21 and 22 for FTP? I don't remember, look it up)
+Set up no-ip or DynDNS

+Install the OS and FTP server
+Forward the proper ports (21 and 22 for FTP? I don't remember, look it up)
+Set up no-ip or DynDNS

yea its prot 21... and is there anyway I can set this up on TWO computers? or do i have to somehow link them together on their own adhoc network? one has wireless, and another one doesn't. and I don't have an RJ45 ethernet cable, and i'm broke :|

What FTP server do you reccomend, for Windows XP Professional?

Well get the software do run the ftp server, for example Serv-U. Then you need to configure in the server the folders you want to share and create the users. Open the ftp server port in router/firewall, normally is port 21, and register in no-ip.org.

Greg, yes you can. Port foward the port 21 to one PC and port 22 for the other PC.

so, big question, does ANY of this cost oney? i'm not paying for it, my friend is setting this up too, I'm just doing all the dirty work. Can he upload files from his computer, to mine, even though im in a different state then him?

and big question...

He has FIOS, and i have comcast... but he has all the network speed, but i got the files... (about 20 gigs).

I don't have much space left, about 100GB, and he has about 750. Should i let his computer run the server, or mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom