apache & vb-asp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Ok, i'm a complete newbie to this area. I'm experimenting with hosting my own little practice website on a computer i built for the purpose. I'm no newbie to webdevelopment and coding, but i have always used commercial hosts to host my commercial websites.

I'd like to learn how to host my own sites, and cut out the middleman.

I've done some researching, and i'm no where near done in my search for answers.

Here's what i'd like to know...

I've heard alot about apache and how great it is. What i'd like to know is if i would be able to run asp pages written in vb code on an apache webserver, and if so, what would i have to do in order to get it to work? I'd love to hear from someone who has some experience in this area. I haven't done the normal array of google searches on this question yet, either, so forgive me.

I'm currently experimenting with IIS, but may switch to apache if i can get vb-asp to work properly. My background has been in VB windows application and i have a website thats currently running on a commercial host using some vb-asp code. I dont want to strip the code to switch it with another language. Its more practical for me to keep the language but get it working on my own practice webserver.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks everyone. :)

IIS6 (the one in win2003 server) is now as good as Apache. the bad(difficult) part of apache is that its all text based. as if you are good with Unix commands, then use apache. else IIS6 is as good.

Um, thanks for the reply Blind_Arrow... but i'm still left with the question...

Is it possible to run vb-asp on an apache server?

I'm currently using the IIS that comes packed with winxp pro. Is there an upgrade to iis6 or do i need to buy win server 2003?

Yes, you can run ASP on an Apache server with Apache::ASP, but I don't know if there's a VB interpreter included. If you want to check and see, you can install BigApache (comes with Apache:ASP preconfigured).

Thanks, Kubel. I'll have to do some more research on this apache-vb thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom