About domain registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitopons

Solid State Member
Anyone knows where I need to go to register a web address for cheap. I was wondering if there is such a thing as a "DMV -Dept of Motor vehicles" to get your "license" meaning the web site name registered. Thanx

There are many domain registars, such as GoDaddy, and IPower. Try searching it on google and you'll find lots. :D

If you are looking for a reasonably priced domain name then I to would recommend using "http://www.godaddy.com"

They are the cheapest prices around and from what I have heard they are quite reliable.

If you're registering at godaddy or any other big company visit bugmenot.com because it will give you free coupon codes that will get you 10-15% off.

Yial said:
Yahoo is pretty good too, I use them myself...

I would strongly recommend against Yahoo domains. I have dealt with them in the past and it was a nightmare.

They resell from an Australian company called Melbourne IT and Yahoo gives you the runaround when you want to transfer your domain to any other registrar.

We wrote to Yahoo, they ask for endless account information.
We have to get with the client to have them provide this information.
Yahoo gives us a completely useless response.
We write back again to clarify the question.
They write back asking for account information.
Finally they tell us to contact Melbourne IT.
Melbourne IT tells us they are only a reseller and can't help.
So now we call Yahoo.
Oh, I'm not the account holder, so I can't be helped.
Have client call Yahoo.
They tell client to contact Melbourne.
Client relays this back to us.
It went on like this until FINALLY Melbourne provides us with the authentication number so we can initiate a transfer to GoDaddy.

What a mess.

Yahoo had cheap domains (something like $1.99), so a lot of people went with them for their domain names and were stuck renewing with them because they would just continue passing you off to Melbourne if you try to transfer, make whois changes, etc....

123reg is a reasonable UK based (i believe) registrar. They give you a lot more control over domains than many others i've used before.
If you are looking for hosting also though then i'd stay clear unless you want the domain and hosting in separate locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom