Top SEO Techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yek

T.F's Resident Cool Guy...
Hopefully this will help budding S.E.O tweakers on the way to "top 5" success!

1) URL Rewriting Rewrite Engine.
This is basically the rewriting of URL's on your domain (chill, you still have control!). What it does is takes the following example:

http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?cat=4&topic=74

and turns it into something the SE's like a bit better, e.g:

http://www.yoursite.com/index/cat4/74

Completely controlled by .htaccess you can find more information on Apache's website here

This in effect will make the SE's think your page is static and will cache it. Remember Google will place little emphasis (if any) on everything after the ? in URL's so rewriting them like this will be very useful.

2) Site Map – Submit to Google.
Submitting and having a site map is very important also. It will contain a list of every page on your site and can be updated manually or via PHP.
A generator provided by Google can be found here

3) Individual meta keywords per-page. Content reflected.
Most big sites will have the same meta keywords per page since the content is created dynamically. This is a big no-no in SEO.
The SE's think every page is the same and therefore will place less emphasis on it in search results.
Make sure each page contains keywords that reflect the content. Including keywords that are not relevant to the pages content may actually decrease your ranking.
More information on SEO Keywords can be found here

4) Keyword relevant content / lot's of information
Again, make sure your content reflects the keywords in your meta tags. You will also want to have as much quality content as possible, which relates back to your chosen keywords.

5) Use of <H1> tags to emphasise overall page content – this text should also be included in the keyword and title tags.
This is a controversial SEO technique. Some say that this will increase your ranking - some say it has no effect whatsoever.
Basically your main page needs to have the content reflected in the <H1> tags.
E.g if your page was about cats then include "Cats" in a <H1> tag on your page. You will also include this in your keywords and title tag.

6) Inbound Links.
This is a major SEO technique used by people appealing to Google since this is how Google works. Getting inbound links makes Google think your site is popular (since everyone is linking to it) and will push you up in the rankings.

NOTE: This will only be valid for GENUINE links. Including your domain on "doorway" or "hidden splash pages" may severely affect your rankings.

The problem with this technique is that companies are not just going to link to you. If they are the competition (having the same keywords) directing their traffic to your website just isn't going to happen.

7) Submit to directories.
This is a great method of creating inbound links. Some sites will link for free or may require you to fill in a series of ads.

NOTE: Don't submit to mass "plugboards" or "link exchanges". Google doesn't appreciate this very much and may kill your ranks.

8) Tweaking of anchor link text to emphasise targeted keywords and inclusion of anchor title tags to add weight to the page and the linked page.
For Example:
<a title="Cats and Dogs" href="catsanddogs.html">Cats and Dogs</a>

This will also help increase your rankings further in the SE's since the page reflects the content of the leading page.

Hopefully this may provide a useful resource for web designers not wanting to pay the professionals top cash!

(Sticky anyone??) :)

Cheers,

~ Tkey

These are great points. I am particularly interested in #7 (submitting my site to directories) but I have been reticent about it because I am not sure which directories are good ones to submit to and which are not. Are you aware of any lists of 'good' directories to submit to for SEO?

Thanks for the feedback.
Directories are very easy to find, a Google search should pull up some of the best ones.
When designing websites for clients in the UK I submit to sites such as TouchLocal and Yahoo!

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Thanks

We are currently attempting to run SEO on a customers site, and we hadn't thought of #8.

Every little helps.

Thanks again

John

Hi,
Very-2 thanks provide this type of information.These are great tips for the seo but my site in the top 5# and 2#.

They are all general. I believe that if you want to be sucesful in SE you need to have your own secrets and they will be your way to success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom