This is what i do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
ekÆsine said:
Stealing images from other artists and putting it into a signature is hardly skillful. Learn to make your own art and you could actually call it original. You need to learn the basics of your tools and not rely so heavily on filters. Photoshop is just a tool, not a magic device that transforms someone into DaVinci in a few mouse-clicks. What I see in the sigs is over-usage of noobish filters to make basic text effects using largely bevel & emboss....and not much of anything else. Your tutorials are mostly regurgitated from other sites.

This is not meant as a harsh criticism, but you need to wake up and realize what you're doing is taking other people's work, slapping some text on it, and calling it your own..... and proudly showing it off.

before you think you know what your talking about i would SU..

you know how many filters i use in my sigs? a big 0

and if you look around all sigs are done with pictures... no i didn't make the pictures but i make everything thats on there...

i use all my tools

:mad:

boo said:
before you think you know what your talking about i would SU..

you know how many filters i use in my sigs? a big 0

and if you look around all sigs are done with pictures... no i didn't make the pictures but i make everything thats on there...

i use all my tools

:mad:

boo on most of your sigs you use a simple duotone gradient and a drop shadow which is a standard photoshop filter. boo when you say "no i didn't make the pictures but i make everything thats on there" you are stating something that contradicts itself. you are saying no you didn't make most of the graphics and designs, BUT you made everything. I am giving you some advice from one designer to another. It's your choice whether you feel that was a personal attack or words of wisdom.

YourPrinter yes I can do better but why would I need to prove myself? It's a vicious cyle where people insist that you prove yourself to strangers who hardl know you. think about this for a moment: when you sign your receipts for credit card puchases at a store would you steal parts of someone else's signature and incorporate it into your signature? a signature is your personal trademark that identifies you from all the rest. it is unique as the person who made it. what do you think that says about someone who does this?

ekÆsine said:
boo on most of your sigs you use a simple duotone gradient and a drop shadow which is a standard photoshop filter. boo when you say "no i didn't make the pictures but i make everything thats on there" you are stating something that contradicts itself. you are saying no you didn't make most of the graphics and designs, BUT you made everything. I am giving you some advice from one designer to another. It's your choice whether you feel that was a personal attack or words of wisdom.

YourPrinter yes I can do better but why would I need to prove myself? It's a vicious cyle where people insist that you prove yourself to strangers who hardl know you. think about this for a moment: when you sign your receipts for credit card puchases at a store would you steal parts of someone else's signature and incorporate it into your signature? a signature is your personal trademark that identifies you from all the rest. it is unique as the person who made it. what do you think that says about someone who does this?

What makes boo's signatures not unique? Are you saying when people sign their names on a receipt they don't use the same alphabet?

If your a master of photoshop why don't you have a signature; how come none of us have seen any of your work in general?

I agree completely with ekÆsine dear BOO! He's trying to tell you the distinction between real art and palgarism. He's right that photoshop is just a tool that can transform into Da vinci in a few clicks. I work on photoshop myself, but I am dead sure o' that. Now lets try to work it logically. I saw the sig you designed for neo. Kudos to the idea! it was really cool. But tell me Did you do the designing of all the 3D stuff in there?? You just copied layer of the gunman, Increased size by Alt+T. Copied it again, applied motion blur once or twice. Added a cool background effect, some more textures. Played around with contrast settings, and added the text at last. Viola its done! with author as 'Boo'. But Boo is not the one who spent brains, coffee and so much of computer time to design the bones, wire mesh, textures and finally the whole model of the gunman on 3D max. The credit thus for the sig is jointly to both the designers, BOO as well as the 'unknown' - not told by Boo. I myself don't design sigs as I believe your honest thoughts are the greatest signatures of yours. All the graphics I have done in this life, I have always manupulated photographs from my own tattered webcam. The real pain is to restore the image and make the useless pic presentable. Check my pic in Adobe Photoshop Tutorials section on Tech Forums. I had taken the photograph of my own hand and rest is Photoshop skill. I don't even like to use plugins. So heed to ekÆsine's voice. He is wise in these matters.

The pictures people use in sigs are all freeware, If the creators didnt want them used, then they wouldn't give them out would they? You may generalise the things we do as simple, sure thats your opinion but eh its not like I've seen anything from you that looks like it took you day and night. Most of the people that make sigs are also proficient in using programs such as 3dmax, c4d, lightwave, shade, poser etc. And I do say most. If you want to deny the fact that what we do doesnt take time and effort, why dont u check out various gfx sites such as www.conquergfx.com or www.gamerenders.com and see for yourself that there is quite a lot of work involved in designing and perfecting each piece of art. Photo manipulation, as you claim to do is totally different to sig making. Whether something is art or not isnt something that can be debated. I could draw a straight line in photoshop and call it art, because it means something to me. However, it would be highly criticised, by people like you. How much skill do you think it took Andy Warhol to print someones head? I would doubt it took much, but look at how much they are worth now.. 20mill or so for one of the campbells tins. There are so many different types of art, you have yours, we do ours, and there is no reason why you should criticise ours just because you think it takes less skill. I make my own brushes, I use c4d and lightwave, hell i even have a go at cuttin out renders for sigs.. I havent been using photoshop for that long but its by no means easy. I never repeat a style, everytime I make a new sig or background, i use different techniques, and I rarely use the filters, maybe some blur to blend renders.

Theres my opinion, you have yours. You call my art simple and unimaginative. Myself, being a fairly reasonable person, dont put any generelisations on your art. I appreciate all types of art. I dont just like my own style and block out all other types. You just need to become more open-minded.

YourPrinter said:
What makes boo's signatures not unique? Are you saying when people sign their names on a receipt they don't use the same alphabet?

YourPrinter to get more specific about my analogy (which I know isn't that accurate), he takes and carbon copies the exact strokes of a group of letters and put it into his signature. He takes not only the curvature of some of the signature but he also copies the exact hand pressure and distrubution of spacing of parts the signature. Yes it is the same alphabet but in comparison in graphic design many times we can also use the same technique or the same imaginative ideas or restricted to a specific set of stock images to work with or whatever, but the final result is not the same depending on the person who does it.

VIII said:
The pictures people use in sigs are all freeware, If the creators didnt want them used, then they wouldn't give them out would they? You may generalise the things we do as simple, sure thats your opinion but eh its not like I've seen anything from you that looks like it took you day and night.

VIII please understand that throughout this thread I have never criticized the quality of work from boo or anyone else who makes signature art. My point was to get him to think about why he is proudly showing off his art if it truly was not him who made it?

I have been asked repeatly to show my artwork to prove that I have experience in design. I believed I could share my experience and wisdom of design without having to do that. So my apologies, please let me introduce myself properly:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52904

Well ekesine I may understand you better now, but what can you do to make him change his ways? Signatures are all a matter of their own makers preference and style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom