Website(s) in need of serious face-lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
I created a few websites using GoDaddy's "Website Tonight" utility since they are also hosted there. It was fine when it started, but the websites need to look much more professional and complex, because let's face it you can really only do so much with the layouts and those kinds of web-based website creators.

The problem is I know little to nothing when it comes to coding. I have also tried Dreamweaver CS4, but it's not like how I remember it at all! I used a Dreamweaver version when I was 14 to create a website and did fine, but now it just seems a little too overwhelming. Does anyone have any suggestions on a website creator that isn't as complex to use as Dreamweaver and that doesn't require a huge learning curve? I'm not trying to get the best website on the internet by any means, but I just need something to look more professional and original than the basic look you get with the basic creators like GoDaddy has or really any of those guys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would continue with Dreamweaver. It is by far the best and you're honestly not going to get a "professional" looking site with a builder. I would start with a template or layout though so you have a base to work with. There are a lot of CSS layouts and templates. Just put your own graphics and text in and you are up and running. Dreamweaver should be easy enough for that...there are buttons to add images, and typing text is just like a Word doc.

CSS Layout: A collection of 224 Grid and CSS Layouts
Dynamic Drive CSS Layouts- Tableless, CSS based templates

Alrighty, I will give Dreamweaver another go. Thanks for the links, I will start with a bottom frame layout and see if it's not too difficult to manage. Appreciate the help synergy!

Yea...it's a little daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it it's not so bad. Let me know (PM or w/e) if you need help along the way.

I've already run into a problem. I can't seem to view the code and design in a split. Only code or code split. This is only with CSS document, If I add the CSS frame code in an HTML document, it shows me the code/design split. Does it matter if it is started in a CSS document or an HTML document? God I know NOTHING about websites.

There is nothing to view from CSS code. It is just definitions for styling. There is nothing visual happening until you use the styles with HTML.

Ok I was confused about what type of document to start in Dreamweaver. I thought since I was using that CSS then I would start a CSS document. Apparently not...thanks for clearing that up..

It depends how you are using the CSS.

If you are calling an external CSS file then you need a purely CSS file. If you are using CSS from within HTML, you only need the HTML document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom