Web Development Standards??

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
My friend is going to be graduated with an associates degree in web development/design.

Right now, I know HTML and CSS. Those are the two codes I've used to make any and all of my websites. When I asked him about some PHP applications, he didn't know any in the claim that it was becoming an obsolete language. This is confusing to me, but, I don't have a good argument to really challenge his say.

Can anyone direct me towards information on industry standards in web development such as languages?

Hello,

:freak: PHP becoming obsolete? Tell your friend he is koo koo :drool:. PHP is very popular, and widely used for web applications. Facebook and YouTube for example (to name only a couple of sites) are coded in PHP. Even the site we're on now (Tech Forums) is written in PHP.

I figured as much PHP for me has been another one of my many many projects in languages to learn. I've seen a lot of useful information/applications I can use for it, but, I think manipulating it is the one thing I want to learn how to do.

What news of PHP can I find on the internet? There are a lot of websites that give tutorials but, none that really update me on standards and things about the language.

PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor is a good source of news. You can join their mailing list too.

PHP isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And if it does, we're all doomed, cause then there's only PERL and ASP left. Gasp.

Joined there mailing list, thanks guys!

some of my final thoughts fall in line with actually doing it to see whether or not the language is right for me. After coding for some years now(none of which has been done professionally) I feel that there needed to be some kind of set rule out there in the world of what I need to know.

design has never been a problem as much as 'function', I'm looking through some very special applications that leave a lot of feedback from servers and give you itemized documentation of how many times a file has been downloaded or a link on your website has been clicked. That to me is the next step in a lot of tracking and understanding a person who navigates through a web-page.

what do they click and why?

I figured out how to use a php based clock and calender which was fun, but, this is what I needed.

I hate to sound like a moron, but, PERL and ASP??

PERL is a unix based language that can handle light weight system programming as well as web programming. It is similar to PHP in function, but can do things PHP cannot. I was really just poking fun at PERL, it is a great language.

ASP though, is Microsoft's equivalent to PHP. It must be run on their IIS servers, which I personally dislike very much. I don't like how Microsoft makes everything propriety, so I won't be using ASP anytime soon.

Yea, PHP isn't going anywhere but UP. ASP is very powerful, but because it's so proprietary it's not nearly as popular as PHP.

Are you wanting to write a tracking application in PHP? Google Analytics is great for tracking web visitor activities. Then there's more professional services like Omniture, WebTrends, StatCounter, etc.

Yea, PHP isn't going anywhere but UP. ASP is very powerful, but because it's so proprietary it's not nearly as popular as PHP.

Are you wanting to write a tracking application in PHP? Google Analytics is great for tracking web visitor activities. Then there's more professional services like Omniture, WebTrends, StatCounter, etc.

I've learned more in a few postings sitting and reading then I think my friend has in the two years he's attended ECPI. Atleast I have grounds for an arguement, it is strange the dichomtimy of the two, well, three languages. ASP for microsoft, Perl for Unix and PHP for everything else.

I think his affinity with ASP language originates from a lot of classes at ECPI are actually funded by microsoft.

I have no problem with microsoft at all, I like XP(still using it actually) and while Windows Server 2008 looks appealing, I don't think I will ever dive into the heavier languages beyond PHP right now.

I've recently signed up for the google tools! The webmaster tools to be more precise, I am a little lost, I have my site uploaded, but, I am still working to track minor details as I go along. CrazeD has seen my website come and go in this forums with silly HTML errors and the like.

Thanks a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom