Web Design Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitevision88

Baseband Member
Hello

I'm appealing to the intellect of this forum to solve my (hopefully temporary) web design woes. I've made a few websites in the past couple years, most of those in FrontPage (yes, i know it's a joke). More recently I've delved into the world of Photoshop layouts and using the "Cut" feature and all of that jazz. (Of course, with Dreamweaver software.)

Basically what my question is;

I'm looking for what you guys call a "WYSIWYG" editor (I can play around with some HTML or javascript occasionally, or download some code off the Internet for specialized things, but I would prefer most of this to be done w/o hard-coding it) that has a lot of features, but isn't quite as complicated as DreamWeaver.

One of the things I needed and was reason enough to look into switching from Dreamweaver - I want to create a highly dynamic page in which I can easily place scrollable boxes, images, text, etc. WITHOUT all the pain involved.

If you have any idea what Microsoft OneNote is (essentially it's a glorified and more dynamic version of Word), that would be what I'm looking for. Except.. to make websites with.

If said program also were able to upload to FTP that would be wonderful as well.

Thank you for your consideration!

Anthrax - thanks for the quick reply

Unfortunately.. I have Dreamweaver already. The MX version. While I'm sure Dreamweaver 8 is great and all, I seriously doubt they have what I'm looking for in a nice, not complicated package.

Yeah, I don't use the WYSIWYG part of Dreamweaver so I don't know how complicated it is. But from what i've heard its quite easy. All though, I don't like what it does to the code when doing WYSIWYG.

Well, I mean... it's easy to a point. I'm looking for a bit more functionality than it offers.. Maybe I'm just not tapping into the right set of features within the program, but in order to make something like a scrollable textbox - good luck... You're forced to use the hard coding part of it, and at that point it's like finding a needle in a haystack in terms of the certain point at which to set the box to scroll... I mean. that works fine, I suppose - but I'm really looking to make something that's pretty dynamic. Like think.. layout changes at least once a week. The time it would take to hard code/wysiwyg that in Dreamweaver would be impossible without spending hours on it.

I'd rather spend the hours on the content if you know what I mean.. Layout is important to me, but not so much so that I don't want to have to spend 4 hours to update it whenever I want to change something..

Oh, if it helps. I'm looking to create some sort of a webzine/newspaper kind of thing - where most of my content will be on the first page in scrollable boxes etc. and then will have additional links for someof the longer stories and of course for archives.

Perhaps this is too difficult at my level of programming and web-editing skill.. hopefully not though, because something like this would actually be entertaining to update frequently - that is, if I can find some kind of a web-editing software that lets me be free in my choices, but is also user-friendly enough that I don't need to pour through pages of Internet-forums to figure out minute details.

uhh no. Not really. The extent of my knowledge of what mySQL can do for you is - I know that you need it to do the phpbb forums, but that's all I really know about it. PHP is just a mystery to me. Believe me, I wish I knew about these, because I'm sure it would help out web design immensely.

I wonder what is coming out next since adobe bought macromedia...or is the other way around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom