Viewing and editing Excel docs from a shortcut...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sCribes

In Runtime
Hello.

I have recently taken over an account from someone as they moved on after they finished college. I am running into a few issues and was hoping someone could help me out here.

I need to have a shortcut on the desktop of a few computers that they can click on, and it will open a folder on an internet server, not a local server. This folder contains somewhere around 100-125 excel documents, that need to be able to be edited on the file, and resaved to the server.

They have these folder shortcuts right now on the computers, and when they double click it, they are asked for auth (looks the same as what apache does when you use .htacces). Once they are in the folder, it looks like they are looking at it on a local folder where they view the excel documents as thumbnailed view. They can then just double click on them to open it, make changes, and then close it. When they close the excel doc, it asks to save it, they click yes, and it saves it to the server, overwriting what was there before.

The problem is, they are having troubles with it not allowing to save, saying its read only. However its not read only. These files and folders where uploaded in frontpage, so im assuming that has something to do with the ownership that is set on them, and its getting funky for some reason.

Basicly im looking for a way to recreate these shortcuts. I cant figure it out. Its not ftp, its still http, and they dont have to click file>edit with excel, they just open the file since its not actually a webpage, its just a file on the server. This is really frustrating me, hope someone can help, or at least has come ideas.

Thanks
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom