Using wix to create a website any tips? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Web Graphics and Design
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Using wix to create a website any tips?

I'm new to this and I'm not really a web designer so I decided to use Wix, I am wondering if this is a good reliable source. I picked a design and it seems very simple and easy, I can add links and everything else just fine too. I am wondering when I save a picture what would give me the best resolution on the picture. Would it be a .PDF file? It seems when I enlarge the picture it gets very blury.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Using wix to create a website any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt2016 View Post
I'm new to this and I'm not really a web designer so I decided to use Wix, I am wondering if this is a good reliable source. I picked a design and it seems very simple and easy, I can add links and everything else just fine too.
For a basic website, with static content sure. If you're wanting dynamic content (i.e. a blog) or a storefront...then you'd want to pick a different platform and/or get one professionally designed/coded.

Quote:
I am wondering when I save a picture what would give me the best resolution on the picture.
That depends on what resolution your original picture is. If you put small / low res pics up on the site, then it's not going to magically make them higher resolution. You need a high quality source image.

Quote:
Would it be a .PDF file?
No. Why would an image be a PDF document?

Quote:
It seems when I enlarge the picture it gets very blury.
Like I said, you need a high resolution image to start with. You can't make a small resolution image larger and expect it to keep fidelity.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I meant png not pdf, sorry.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Squarespace is great for this kind of thing. You can check them out on their website and try them for free.

Apple MacBook Pro || 750GB || 8GB RAM || 2.9 GHz i7
Apple iPhone 8 || 64GB || Black
Apple iPad Air 2 || 64GB || Black
Sony Playstation 3 || 60GB || 2007 Model
Microsoft Xbox 360 || 20GB || 2009 Model
Sony PSP || 8GB || 2005 Model
MillField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi Milt2016,

I've just begun using WIX to create my own website but keep one important fact in mind: Your website's hosting will always be tied to WIX ONLY. Meaning you will never be able to migrate/transfer the hosting to another entity. If for some reason WIX goes darkside, you will not have a file backup to regenerate your design elsewhere. For this reason I am seeking council from the wise here also.

IS WIX a recommended website/domain hosting entity or is there a better more flexible entity out there one can exploit?

I've already made the mistake of buying a domain from iPage only to realise that it cannot be used on WIX without a WIX Monthly Premium purchased (WHICH already includes a domain & hosting). I feel pretty blonde right now, and have just requested cancelation of my iPage domain account (rather than doubling my expenses). It might delay reacquiring my domain name but I am in no rush.

As for the image quality, take a look at my current creation and see if the images come out better than you expected. I believe it is all down to the res in which they are saved. I assume.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have used Wix and Wordpress.
Wix-Regarding images, depending what they are it can slow down the website response time. Wix is easy to use and allows a customization even on the beginner level. I had a premium. I really liked the concept and support is very responsive. However, all that said I think its still evolving. At least I hope they are. The only thing that bothers me you can cancel the premium any time, but your domain stays until you migrate it.
Wordpress- less customization. If you need a basic website or you are a HTML savvy this one is for you. The offered themes are numerous depending on your subscription. I noticed no problems in pictures.