Transferring old website to new website - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Web Graphics and Design
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Transferring old website to new website

Hi,

I am currently new to this, well very new to the techie side of things, in fact I havent a clue, Im being very honest!

I have a business website and domain name etc but it needs a revamp and need to set up a new one but want to keep the same name how do I go about this?

My website is run by a hosting site so do they do this for me once I have done all the designs etc but when I try and set up a new website they ask for my new website name but it says (obviously) the one I have chosen is already in use, of course by me, so how do I go about it, what do I do to just transfer one across to the other!

Sorry if I sound dim here, but I havent a clue where to start, thank you kindly

Old 07-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Transferring old website to new website

Who is your host?
Do you own your domain name through your host as well?
Do you have FTP or file access to your site through the hosting panel?

As long as you have file access to your host, then you should just be able to replace the file contents of your host for your site. The domain/address will stay the same.

Unless you're wanting to set them up side-by-side and run both of them?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for your quick reply, my host is web chilli
yes I do own my domain name through my host too
yes I have file access too, just don't know how to transfer anything across.

So for example I go into a website which I am creating a new one and then how do I go about transferring, I only really want the one site not to run the two parallel.

thank you again!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

You shouldn't need to create a new website.

Create your new website locally on your own system, or on a development server or something. Then when you're finished & ready to switch over, backup the contents of your current site (save the backup somewhere!), remove the contents, then upload the new contents.

Is this a static website (i.e. just a plain, informational without dynamic content), or is it backed by a CMS (e.g. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.)?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
You shouldn't need to create a new website.

Create your new website locally on your own system, or on a development server or something. Then when you're finished & ready to switch over, backup the contents of your current site (save the backup somewhere!), remove the contents, then upload the new contents.

Is this a static website (i.e. just a plain, informational without dynamic content), or is it backed by a CMS (e.g. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.)?
Excellent, thank you again.
its just a basic free web set up page, for example its called Free Website Builder | Create a Free Website | WIX.com

thank you