Scanning books / magazines with out getting the dots or moire patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
There are a number of legitimate reasons to scan images from books or magazines.If you scan an image from a book, magazine or newspaper you will scan in these dots which will cause a moiré pattern in your image. This article will point out ways to avoid this pattern or correct it after the fact.

I am currently have a Canon Pixma MP610 multi-functional. The software I am scanning from in irfanview.
Is there some thing I should be doing under my scanner set up. Or should I be using different software instead.

when you hold a light to a book or magazine page you can usually see partially through it, so can the scanner. It you place a black or dark sheet of paper on top of the image to be scanned it will block out a lot of the bleed through.

Yeah that's most likely it Slay. It also could partially be the scanner converting the image during the data send phase. It would be easier to help if you could put a sample of what you're talking about up here Harper.

And is the original in the book completely line free or is it a bit textured at all? If those are all completely lines from the scanner then it's either the scanner settings or the scanner itself is having problems. Image conversion or black paper backgrounds wouldn't fix that.

The scan was down at 150dpi. since then I scanned the image at 600dpi and then at 600dpi.
It has improve the image after I shrink it down and play around with the color correction.

View attachment 4804
600dip

View attachment 4805
resized and color correct.

Still not 100% happy with the image.

However it's not just this image here. I have been finding this with any image.
Obviously the first start scanning at a higher dpi.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 113
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom