program to open pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

windwhistler

Solid State Member
My computer opens all picture files using Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8. It also only allows me to save pics in the bmp format.

I just want to open my files in internet explorer and be able to save them as whatever I damn well please (.jpg/.jpeg/.gif for the most part). What do I do to over ride the Jasc Paint control?

u cant change the format of a picture in IE..... Why the **** does PSP only allow u 2 save as a BMP? That makes no sense, the JPG Algorithm is public domain now. So is like every other ****ing algorithm out there except for maybe .gif or .png i forgot which one it was, but it was copyrighted.

if worse comes to worse get GIMP, its open source, just search it in google.

yeah but...

I only want to look at images in IE, not edit them. I can edit them in Photoshop if I want. I just want to be able to save them as jpgs and gifs... or whatever else they happen to Start out as in the 1st place!

.,...maybe... if I uninstall Jasc Paint. Would that solve my problem or cause a new "I cant open pics with Any program now" problem? Shouldnt there just be a easy button that says "open all pics with x program"?? I can to it to pictures individually with the right click button but its doesnt change ALL pictures to open in that program.

windwhistler,

It is possible to change the file extension name in photoshop by flattening the layers of the image. Just open up the file and go to,

Layers > flatten image.

This will merge all of the layers of the image in to one background layer and enable you to save the image as a JPEG etc. Just when opening the file right click on it and go to Openwith. This will bring up a small box, which will list all of the software on your computer, select photoshop.

The files with the same extension as this will now open in photoshop.

Hope this information helps.

Retro.

windwhistler said:
My computer opens all picture files using Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8. It also only allows me to save pics in the bmp format.

I just want to open my files in internet explorer and be able to save them as whatever I damn well please (.jpg/.jpeg/.gif for the most part). What do I do to over ride the Jasc Paint control?

Personallly I use htirfanview for this sort of stuff.

The best way to accosiate a file extension witha program is to do the following.

Open any folder on your computer.
Select Tools > Folder options from the folder toolbar
In the window select File Types tab
Scroll down to Jpeg in the list of file extensions
In the details section, click on the Change button to specify which app you would like to use to open Jpeg
Select Internet Explorer
Click OK

Repeat this for any other file types you wish to associate with IE or whatever app you prefer.

Cheers!

yes files have been associated to Paintshop pro, that is why take a little care in installing the programs, that they doesnt take your file types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom