.png images

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1junkie

In Runtime
I am think of using png images for my website I have heard alot of good stuff about them and I have alos heard that some browsers don't fully support them

any help would be greatly helpful
Thanx

there are 2 versions PNG8 and PNG24. png8 is basically is similair to GIF. do not use png24 for web, it is not optimized for web. generally stay away from PNG24, use JPEG instead.

for websites don't use png24. the large file size of png24 make it not suitable for web pages. they are as large as 24bit or 32bit bitmaps because png24 is lossless or close to it.

it is actually more powerful than bitmap because it captures transparency very precisely. it also has layers, an extremely powerful feature.

PNG-24 is suitable for compressing continuous-tone images; however, it produces much larger files than JPEG format. (See About file formats.)

The advantage of using PNG-24 is that it can preserve up to 256 levels of transparency in an image. To save an image with multilevel transparency, select Transparency. For more information on the Interlaced, Transparency, and Matte options

i should have made it more clear png24 is fine for small images and small images that need precise transparency. for large images like banners they are not suitable for web.

png8 can be used in place of GIF's except animated GIF. i dont think PNG has any animation. thanks for pointing that out Nix :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom