To photoshop or not to photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunrise

Beta member
I just took a class on web developing but want to create my own image of the united states map with states that you can click on. I was told I would need photoshop PS2 and would need to take an additonal class to do this but the software is not within my budget (really way off my budget). Does anyone have knowledge of graphics/images who could tell me what I need to do. I am a stay at home mom looking to start my own business from home. This would be a business so I have found nothing our there I could use (copyrights ).

1. Can I do this on my own? I really want to learn how to do this myself?
2. Do I need software, if so, what, and are there options?
3. Are there free reliable downloadable software sites?
4. Is there a site out there that could tutor me for specifically what I need?

Thanks
sunrise

Hello,

You could learn this on your own. But it wont be cheap or easy. Photoshop is not hte easiest thing to work with. I have been working with it by myself for the past few years and even i am not that good with it. I have made thigns like my signature image and some other stuff. But nothign really Professional.

If you do this you will need Photoshop. GIMP is a good open source tool but sadly that isnt nearly as powerful enough as Photoshop to do something like this.

There are all sorts of sites for free downloads. Just depends on what you are looking for. GIMP is free and can be found via google. Other than that there isnt much free Image stuff. Maybe Paint .NET could work.

There are sites. Good Tutorials, Pixel2Life, Devianart are all good sites that can help you along. Could also get help form some of the people around here as well.

Cheers,
Mak

Making a map with clickable states would be pretty interesting to code. You can't do any coding with Photoshop, so you'd have to use HTML to do the coding.

Furthermore, states are not square, but in a web template, the images must be. So you can already see how that would be a problem.

I think using Adobe Flash would be your best bet. You can make buttons/links of images in any shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom