new guy... interested in graphic design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
hey everyone,
I am wanting to get into graphic design as a hobby type thing. But, I am not sure exactly how to do it. Could you guys recommend any programs that are free and would be good to start off learning? I am currently using Paint.net but other then that i am in the cold.. and obviously adobe photoshop..but i am poor so I do not have it yet.

If you could find a friend to give you a copy of photoshop 7 that would be the best start. There are some 'painter' programs that would get you started but, aside from that, I'd hit up some tutorialized websites. Youtube photoshop techniques to get started.

This may be bad advice but fireworks aint a bad place to get started,

some stuff ive made on fireworks 8

400-4.png

Untitled-1-2.png

IMO, you should pick what you want to use...either Photoshop or Fireworks. They are essentially the same program, though Photoshop is more powerful. There's not much sense in learning both of them for the same purpose, unless of course you just want that under your belt.

Fireworks is said to be a little easier to work with than Photoshop (never used it myself) but Photoshop is more powerful than Fireworks. Though they can both be used just fine for basic web design.

You can download 30 day trials for all of Adobe's products, or...*acquire* them.

Tbh, you can't really get started until you have access to Photoshop. While Photoshop has some very powerful tools that you don't need when you're beginning to learn, it's basic mechanisms are the foundation of almost all graphic design. Professionals as well as amateurs use Photoshop. You can either see if a school computer lab has it, find a friend and borrow his copy, or even ask Mr. Torrence if he has it.

GIMP is actually very good if you know how to use it. Apok used it to create every one of hte F@H user bars. There is a guy who uses GIMP. GimpGuy whose work is fantastic. If it wasnt for the name you would think that he was using PS.

Comicfan2000 on deviantART

That is his Deviantart Page. Sorry to say but if someone can do that with GIMP. It has to be a bit better than most of us know of. Maybe we are jsut to used to PS and the way it works. Cause he has some great stuff that he has shared.

Ιt's not on the program it's on the designer, Photoshop has much more tools and is easier and more effective to use than GIMP, Gimp will simply take you more time even if you got used to the tools. If you wan't a free solution download GiMP, if you want to be a graphic designer buy Illustrator/ Corel Draw and then if you have some spare money buy photoshop which is a secondary program in graphic design, it is mostly for photo edits, when i create a logo/ a banner that has not a picture part i never use Photoshop..

Yeah, you can try GIMP, its a very good image editing software if you cant Photoshop.....
its a free raster graphics editor, you can get latest version [ GIMP 2.6.2 ] at gimp.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom