Making a website... Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google for HTML tutorial.
I think you should start with Dreamweaver. You could also start with Frontpage, which is a little easier, but it is crap.

If you are getting really good at it you may try something more advanced, like Adobe GoLive.

I disagree. Stay away from Dreamweaver if you're just starting out. Frontpage is what I use because it's very similar to other Microsoft programs. If you're good with Word then you'll have an edge starting off with Frontpage. Also, when you pick up your website host, look to see if it has Frontpage extensions. That means you can directly upload your pages and graphics with a click of a button.

It requires some setup, but you can find help notes by hitting F1 in Frontpage, and also (hopefully) you can find directions with the host you choose. It also comes with templates, and you can find and download a lot more online.

My greatest advice to you will be to simply jump into it and play with whichever program you choose. I don't suggest you learn as you go with your real website, because things can get extremely frustrating when you're trying to accomplish something that you don't know how to do. Instead, throw together a test site try out lots of different things in the menus to get yourself acquainted with the program.

Every program has a learning curve, and I learned this the hard way. I didn't give myself time to learn the prog, and instead started with my main site. When I didn't know how to do something, I didn't want to use trial and error because I was afraid I'd mess it up ever more, so the frustration built and I gave up. I stepped back, jumped into building a site that I didn't mind messing up, and learned 100x more.

Hope this helps

I have the same opinion of rahzl

MS Frontpage is the thing that u should start with.Another advantage is when u host to certain sites like tripod if its a frontpage based site hosting is 50% simpler .since from frontpage u can directly upload.

I'm one of the ones that encourage you learn to code, not use programs that code for you. This is because later on down the road when you want more complex web applications and maybe move to PHP, CSS, Javascript, etc, you will already have a background with HTML (something you should know for EVERY web design language).

HTML Tutorial is a very good place to start. HTML is very, very basic and easy to pick up.

Then I would go and make an account at 110MB.com - Most Endorsed FREE Website Hosting Provider (unless you have a real host).

Good luck.

Look at the page source of a page that's made with FrontPage. It injects so much junk it's not even readable. Maybe that's my luck...i'm very happy with Dreamweaver. There are plenty of good books that even newbs can understand.

I would acually start with a basic HTML tutorial and notepad, because otherwise you will be relying on the program to design your website for you rather than code it yourself. Then get dreamweaver and code/design it in that because it will be easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom