How do I add a "View" option to a table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janus

Beta member
I know the Title might sound a bit strange,but let me explain. About a month or so a friend came to me and asked me to be the webmaster for a school club he is part of. Now I am generally computer savy, I have tinkered with my computer, I play MUDS, and I generally know how the internet works (Protocols, proxies, servers,etc).

I know. Not exactly the qualifications of a webmaster per say, but my friend knows I am a quick study and generally computer-inclined.

Anyways, recently he asked me to spruce up some pages for the website, specficially if I could do something about this table that lists all the regular members, officers, faculty advisors,etc. He wants it so that if someone were looking for just the officers, or just the faculty advisors one could just change the view to show that data specifically. By this he means that on the table there is a View option that makes it so that only that piece of data is autopopulated. (You know like on some of the more professional website out there that give one the ability to select so a table shows only a specific category of data).

Thing is I am not sure how do to this (and yes, i did try to Google it, but none of the results really gave me a good idea of how to do it).So, is this something I script? Do I use SQL?If so do I need a database (As I understand it, with SQL I am telling the system to query the server to retireve a piece of information, which I imagine comes to mean I need a database containing that data).

Note: The club website is hosted using wordpress.

If you can't do it through something like a pivot table in excel? If not you'd have to do it old school and create a page for each type of view that someone would want to see.

You'll need to store the data in either a flat file or a database such as MySQL.

You can filter the data using a server-side language such as PHP or C# or use javascript, which is client-side, if working with a flat file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom