hosting you own website - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Web Graphics and Design
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Kubel
Default Re: hosting you own website

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_bo View Post
Out of interrest how would you host your own website. i know you would need a server but if you made one and hooked it up to the web n brought a domain name, what application would you need?
I recommend AppServ (server bundle installer includes Apache, MySQL [with PHPMySQL], and PHP). Once installed, you open/forward the necessary ports (80 for HTTP minimum) on your router/firewall.

Once that's done, you move your web content to the www folder located in c:\AppServ\.

There's security in the minority (Windows servers almost always use IIS, and Linux usually uses Apache, rarely is there a server that uses Apache on Windows). So it's a reliable and safe solution for an at-home-server.

If you want to add functionality to your server, here's a few suggestions:

-FTP: Use FileZilla Server. Need to open/forward port 21.
-Email: Use MercuryMail Server. Need to open/forward ports 25, 110, and 143)
-Domain: Use No-IP.com for a free subdomain with DDNS client, or ZoneEdit and DirectUpdate for a domain.

If you have no budget for hosting, I absolutely recommend hosting yourself. No ads and no additional expense (unless you want a domain). It's also a great teaching tool as it gives you real-world experience in managing a server.

~Romans 1:16
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesgroovin View Post
Right, and this has been a plague in the local ISP -> Web Server running community. We need to address this problem ASAP!!! Wait... oh yea, the other 50,000 ports that we can use

Don't "keep this in mind". In fact, this is some kid that knows nothing about what he is talking about.
Uhh....

Did I say you couldn't get around it? I simply said they block it. Meaning you might have to use a different one or fiddle with stuff.

I don't know where you got the impression that I'm "just a kid that knows nothing about what I'm talking about"...

Kubel: I also recommend AppServ, it's a great WAMP. I code all my websites with it before uploading, it works great.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

so if i had a pc and installed windows server 2003, what else would i need 2 do?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
so if i had a pc and installed windows server 2003, what else would i need 2 do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubel View Post
I recommend AppServ (server bundle installer includes Apache, MySQL [with PHPMySQL], and PHP). Once installed, you open/forward the necessary ports (80 for HTTP minimum) on your router/firewall.

Once that's done, you move your web content to the www folder located in c:\AppServ\.

There's security in the minority (Windows servers almost always use IIS, and Linux usually uses Apache, rarely is there a server that uses Apache on Windows). So it's a reliable and safe solution for an at-home-server.

If you want to add functionality to your server, here's a few suggestions:

-FTP: Use FileZilla Server. Need to open/forward port 21.
-Email: Use MercuryMail Server. Need to open/forward ports 25, 110, and 143)
-Domain: Use No-IP.com for a free subdomain with DDNS client, or ZoneEdit and DirectUpdate for a domain.

If you have no budget for hosting, I absolutely recommend hosting yourself. No ads and no additional expense (unless you want a domain). It's also a great teaching tool as it gives you real-world experience in managing a server.
Do that for starters.

Basically you just need to setup all your ports correctly, so the outside can communicate to your server.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

okay i will but budget, what do u mean, what do i need that i would have 2 pay for, i have a spare pc and i can get hold of server 2003, wt other programs are going to cost me? dont i need 2 let my ISP know im running a server?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I suggest going to the library and getting a book. I ask this question once here too. these guys don't realize that we know nothing about it and that they are speaking a foreign language with those short answers.

we need a simple walk through from a-z
Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2

I use freehostia which has no banners, but you could also rent a server of your own, you would get the dns adress to connect it to your website.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
okay i will but budget, what do u mean, what do i need that i would have 2 pay for, i have a spare pc and i can get hold of server 2003, wt other programs are going to cost me? dont i need 2 let my ISP know im running a server?
If you're going to pay for stuff, you should just buy some hosting. It is very cheap. Godaddy.com offers 5GB of space with like 100GB transfer for under 4$ a month.

For under 10$ you could have a domain and tons of webspace.

Though, if you want to host it yourself, you'll probably only need to pay for a domain (if you want a www.yourname.com/net/org/whatever name).

You do not have to let your ISP know you are running a server (unless it's in their ToS, which I doubt).

Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze664 View Post
If you know how to use ftp, and html. I recommend using Freehostia to host it, simple to use and gives good amount of space.
he wants to host it on his own server...

Use Apache there are tons more tutorials on it then IIS.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the simplest way to get a website up and running would be to just rent a server from a web host you will find thousands of them on google. I recommend Globat for hosting they have very good prices. Another option would be to run an apache server on your computer.

Closed Thread