Help with Video Trimming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm3

Solid State Member
I'm not sure this is the right thread to ask this but I saw someone asking a question about gifs so I decided to give it shot.

I have a bunch of .avi and .mkv files that I just want to trim some parts out of. I just want to trim parts out of some videos without quality loss- I don't want to change the format, add anything to it, etc.- just trim some commercials and such out of some videos and save them in the same format. I never believed it would be so difficult to find a program that would just do this and nothing more. I searched the 'net for weeks and tried numerous free cutters/trimmers and wasn't happy with any of them for different reasons. Then I found VirtualDub and loved it. I was able to trim my .avi files and save them in the same format; it was simple open, trim, and save where the save didn't take 30 minutes... only about 15 seconds as it wasn't recoding anything. It is quick and free with no perceived loss in quality- perfect for what I wanted.

However, now I'm doing my .mkv files and VirtualDub (as far as I know as it won't open them), won't trim them. What I'm looking for is a free (or cheap) program for doing the same thing with .mkv files. Or, since I love working with VirtualDub so much, a free program for converting the .mkv into a file that VirtualDub will recognize- so I guess a .mkv to .avi converter that has no, or at least minimizes, quality loss. Once again, I'm just looking for a program that will let you trim it and then save it back as the same .mkv file with no recoding, or a program that will convert a .mkv into something VirtualDub will open.

I have spent the past 4 hours looking for a simple program like this to no avail. I'm getting frustrated going through different websites so I figured I'd see if someone had any recommendations here, as I always find helpful information here whenever I visit. Thanks for any help or recommendations, and I hope this is the right forum for this type of question!

I meant to thank you for the reply. The last time I checked it, no one had responded to it so I kind of forgot about it for a while. I finally got around to checking in on it again a day or two ago and saw the response.

Once again, thanks for the response, and I'm going to try your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom