Forums, I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
Now that I started my own website (just to see how things work), I'm interested in creating a new website that is solely a forum. Now, this sounds easy, but of course, I am having trouble.

I have Cpanel for my current website, so to test out what a forum is like, I created a sub domain. Now, I've gotten the CP plugin of "yaab" forum to work (Perl), but it's not really what I was looking for (I couldn't figure out how to change the generic look).

Anyway, so I downloaded e107, couldn't get that to work, and same for PHPBB. I uploaded them via FTP to my folder, and I sucked at e107, but somehow got PHPBB to get to the install screen, but I don't know what my database or whatever is.

Now, all I'm asking is, what do I need to do to get a forum going? I will eventually buy a seperate domain once I understand what to do. I want to be able to change the look from the generic stage, and also have some Google ads or something in the margins.

What should I download to do this? I know vbulliten is good but I don't have $150 to spend right now.

PHPBB is easy to install. There is file with all the directions. All you have to do is change the properties (writable) of one file in the FTP browser - edit it - and change it back.

If you have Fantastico, it will do everything for you.

Another forum to try is SMF:
SMF Downloads

Do you have a MySQL database setup ?
This is what holds all the forum data , and is probberly what it is asking from you
Im not familiar with C Panel but im sure there is an option to create a MySQL database, if not you will have to contact your host
Then simply wack in all of you MySQL data and your away ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom