Decent of-the-peg CMS system - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Web Graphics and Design
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Decent of-the-peg CMS system

Let's say I'm a bit of a web-build virgin, with no experience but a good handle on how this stuff works & a bit of time on my hands....

I have a friend who imports some great products to sell in a conventional retail environment & he is a non-believer when it comes to the power of online retail. I'd like to build him a site with a very simple e-commerce feature to make him eat his words.....!

Is there an off-the-peg solution for a non-programmer to put together a very proffessional site? I have seen reference to Joomla & Dreamweaver etc, but can't really see many examples of how far these applications can be pushed in terms of performance.

The motivation for doing it myself is firstly the fact that there is no real budget for this & secondly that I'd love to do something like this myself.

Any Ideas....

Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Try again!

Send a message via AIM to motoxer4533 Send a message via MSN to motoxer4533
Default Re: Decent of-the-peg CMS system

Well making an online shopping cart is much more complicated than you think.

-You have to have SSL certificates so that user's data (Credit Card #, Personal info) does not get stolen on it's way to you.

-You can probably find free scripts of shopping carts, but they will be not nearly as powerful as something you can buy.

-You need to have a domain name and hosting service.

-You will need to generate traffic, and that can be done through search engine optimization, Meta Tags, AdWords, AdSense, Site Maps, and good old paper ads.

I would recommend find a powerful shopping cart solution, because the basic, most inexpensive ones won't cut it for lots of orders. Also, give Dreamweaver a shot, because it is very user friendly, and you can find plenty of tutorials on the internet.

Hope this helps.