can a free geocities be tranfered to another site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondieblue227

Baseband Member
and how.
i think it can be done with geocities pro. but not sure if i can do it because i have a free geocity.

thanks heaps!

Use a program like Teleport Pro. Download your site on your local hard drive. Then find a new host and upload it.

About the only other thing that you might want to do is remove all the Geocities ad banner garbage from your pages.

Since it's pretty unlikely there has been any server side scripting, why don't you just copy the source from your browser and paste it right up onto your new site deleting the stuff you don't want. Or is there something I'm missing?

Since it's pretty unlikely there has been any server side scripting, why don't you just copy the source from your browser and paste it right up onto your new site deleting the stuff you don't want. Or is there something I'm missing?

I'm pretty sure that's all you'd really have to do; I've helped make sites in FrontPage and then transferred to GeoCities before no problem.

Use a program like Teleport Pro. Download your site on your local hard drive. Then find a new host and upload it.

About the only other thing that you might want to do is remove all the Geocities ad banner garbage from your pages.

The ads are added via javascript, it is not written on the actual site code. A nice free host is free hostia, which also gives you a subdomain @ .freehostia.com

I think I'm misunderstanding the process.

I do have my website saved on my HD.

I thought there were services out there that will automatically transfer your site for you. No?

I do know how to set up file manager folders in my new hosting site and upload my site. That's not the issue. I'm trying to find a way around this time consuming process if I can.

My new hosting site advertises ‘website transfer'. I don't know how to do it.

I do have my website saved on my HD.
Yes.

I thought there were services out there that will automatically transfer your site for you.
no. You might want to contact your new host and see if they will do that for you. However i don't think that will be service offered by any free hosts.

I do know how to set up file manager folders in my new hosting site and upload my site. That's not the issue. I'm trying to find a way around this time consuming process if I can.
You mean FTP? That easy to set up. Firstly make sure that you website is working properly on your local hard drive. I am assuming it's just a static HTML website. Then use an FTP program like WS FTP Lite to up load it.
About the only thing that you need to program into the FTP program is
HOST Address
User Name

This is all provided that your new host will allow FTP. My expirence with some of these free web host that they would rather you use thier online file upload manager.

My new hosting site advertises ‘website transfer'. I don't know how to do it.
Contact the provider. No sence in talking to me about that.

Make sure that they are offering Website Transfer and not just a Domain Transfer. I had a customer of mine confuse that one once. Luckly they I still had a copy of thier website on my computer.

no. You might want to contact your new host and see if they will do that for you. However i don't think that will be service offered by any free hosts.

thank you, somebody finally understands!
i agree i didn't think free geocities will do that. i'll ask my new host thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom