Best screen size for web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaky

Banned
Hello!

What would you say is the best screen size of a website. I've just started on a new one, but i know it wont fit on most monitors. Mine is set to 1280 x 960 which makes it hard to judge on smaller resolution. I hate changing it as is messes with my icons .

So, what's a good size to use in this age?

1024x68 is a nice resolution. I personally run at 1280 x 1024. Dependent on your subject depends on the general browsing audience.

I think in most HTML coding you can change the page coding to fit various resolutions.

If it is static design it at 800 x 600... that way no matter what resolution someone is viewing at, they don't have to scroll sideways.

Consider your audience. If this website caters to an audience that is only likely to run their browsers* at 1280x960 then it is safe to design for that resolution. If this website is intended for all audiences then the maximum width should not exceed 800 pixels.

*Browser not monitor. I run my monitor at 1280x1024, but my browser size is set to 1024x768 so that I can keep things like chat windows, rss feeds, clocks, etc. visible while surfing.

If you want to get an idea of what a website will look like on lower resolutions without changing your monitor resolution then download the web developer toolbar for Firefox. One of the options allows you to specify the browser window size. Keep in mind that what you see in that window is what occupies the entire screen of monitors running that resolution.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

Hope that was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom