45 Outstanding Free Vintage Fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see so many very nice fonts there!
Will it cause problems if I add many fonts? Say I add 50 fonts (or more) into the fonts folder would that make the system slower anytime that folder is used by a program?

Yep. They just protect the entire c:\windows folder with that warning to cover their butts.

No problem copying new fonts into the font folder.

while copying the font file to the font folder should be ok, it's not what microsoft suggests you do.

they want you to open the fonts folder, click file, and click add new font.

I'm thinking this may add the font somewhere in the registry which may be used by 3rd party applications.

Install or uninstall fonts

edit - you may also want to remember that if you create a file using a custom font, when you try to view the file on another computer, the font will most likely need to be installed there as well. this can happen when creating word documents for school or business and then emailing the document to someone.

while copying the font file to the font folder should be ok, it's not what microsoft suggests you do.

they want you to open the fonts folder, click file, and click add new font.

I'm thinking this may add the font somewhere in the registry which may be used by 3rd party applications.

Install or uninstall fonts

edit - you may also want to remember that if you create a file using a custom font, when you try to view the file on another computer, the font will most likely need to be installed there as well. this can happen when creating word documents for school or business and then emailing the document to someone.

OK, thanks !

So, If I use a custom font for my website, it can only be seen as it is on PCs that have the same font installed?

looks like CSS3 is trying to get around this limitation

CSS Fonts Module Level 3

4.1 The @font-face rule
The @font-face rule allows for linking to fonts that are automatically activated when needed. This permits authors to work around the limitation of "web-safe" fonts, allowing for consistent rendering independent of the fonts available in a given user's environment. A set of font descriptors define the location of a font resource, either locally or externally, and the style characteristics of an individual face. Multiple @font-face rules can be used to construct font families with a variety of faces. Using CSS font matching rules, a user agent can selectively download only those faces that are needed for a given piece of text.

i also found this thread

how to add a font file to my website? (Page 1) - Programming - PunBB Forums

also, theres a site named fontburner.com. it generates code for using custom fonts on websites. but the site has javascript errors when i try to load it

looks like CSS3 is trying to get around this limitation

CSS Fonts Module Level 3

i also found this thread

how to add a font file to my website? (Page 1) - Programming - PunBB Forums

also, theres a site named fontburner.com. it generates code for using custom fonts on websites. but the site has javascript errors when i try to load it

Thanks !

What I figured was to use the fond in a photo processing application and export it as a jpg file which I then put on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom