Wireless network hardware and software ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamoose124

Solid State Member
I have an iMac running OS X 10.6.3, 2.95 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3. I am hooked up to Hughes.net satellite for my internet connection. My computer is in the basement of our two story house. I am buying my wife a MacBook Pro and want her to be able to connect to Hughes net in her study on the third floor.

What hardware and/or software do I need to purchase so that she can access the internet from the ground floor (the kitchen, for example) and also from her office on the third floor?

Any advice on hardware purchases and necessary software and pertinent information would be appreciated.http://www.techist.com/forums/images/baes/royalflush/smilies/cry.png

I'm not too familiar with your particular satellite connection, but I would assume that it has some sort of modem which receives and transmit to the satellite. If this is correct, how do you connect your imac to this modem?

If you connect your imac wirelessly to the modem already, then your proposed Macbook Pro could also connect to it wirelessly as well.

If your hughes.net modem has an ethernet port on it, you could buy and connect a wireless access point to it and then create your own wireless network that your wife can connect. Apple makes two such devices called the Airport Extreme and a Airport Express if you want to stay in the Apple world. However there are a lot of other manufacturers like Linksys, Belkin, Netgear etc that also make similar products.

But keep in mind that wireless networks have trouble going through loads of concrete, so you may need to consider where all the equipment will be placed (including your modem) to get the best coverage.

I am connected to my hughes.net modem via ethernet. My connection to the satellite dish is in the basement. No way to change that. Thus, any router I get must be able to project up two floors. You are suggesting that all I need do is purchase a router (Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Linksys, Belkin, etc) and set up my wireless network. If the router won't send the signal to the third floor, can one purchase some kind of booster to place on the second floor to help boost the signal if that is necessary?

...If the router won't send the signal to the third floor, can one purchase some kind of booster to place on the second floor to help boost the signal if that is necessary?
Hi. It is possible to increase coverage using a device called a 'wireless repeater', or by using additional wireless routers configured as wireless repeaters (provided these additional routers support this feature).

With regards to software, no additional software is required to set up a home network.

As pointed out by koinonas, wireless may not be the best option here, considering that the modem is in the basement, and that there are several floors to cover. If you choose to go the wireless route, be sure to purchase and use good wireless routers / repeaters with powerful external antennas, to ensure the best coverage. Also, I'd suggest using ones where the external antenna(s) can be detached, in case you need to purchase and use a larger omni-directional / directional antenna for a better signal.

Still, an option providing better performance and coverage might be to use a wired solution. You could use a wired router in your basement, and run Ethernet to the other floors with additional switches. You could also establish a powerline Ethernet network where data is transmitted through your home's power sockets. It may however be more costly than a wireless solution, as powerline solutions are rather relatively expensive, and running Ethernet cabling properly through the home incurs further cost.

Of course, you don't have to use an all wireless or all wired solution. For example, you could connect a wired router to your modem in your basement, then place a wireless access point on the ground floor (which is wired using Ethernet to the wired router in the basement), then use additional wireless repeaters on further floor where necessary.

Here's an example of a possible solution:

Home%20Network%20Diagram_medium.png

Provided that a wireless signal can penetrate the basement ceiling, the wired router in the basement could be replaced with a wireless router, and wireless repeaters (or wireless access points configured as wireless repeaters) could be placed on additional floors to expand coverage, where necessary – thus providing you with an all wireless home network. Note however that network latency (delay) can increase for each computer connected to every additional wireless repeater added (as the signal is relayed between each repeater, from source to destination). This isn't a problem for most applications, but if low latency is key, then consider a wired network instead.

Thanks Alvin.C. Your explanation sounds like what I am thinking would work. My Hughes modem has an ethernet port. I'm thinking I could purchase a new Linksys router and hard wire it to the modem in the basement. Get a wireless access point on the ground floor (router or repeater?) and another wireless repeater or router in my wife's second floor office. Does that sound OK as a starting point?

Hi. No problem. (PS: I've updated the diagram in my previous post just to clarify a few things).

If you're planning on using a wired router in the basement, then you'll need to have a wireless access point on the ground floor which is wired via Ethernet to the wired router in the basement.
...Get a wireless access point on the ground floor (router or repeater?)...
The device on the ground floor can just be a wireless access point or a wireless router configured as a wireless access point (with routing disabled – see next paragraph for an explanation). Additional wireless repeaters (or wireless routers configured as repeaters) can then be used thereafter to extend the range of the network on additional floors (just one wireless repeater on top of the wireless access point seems sufficient).

Wireless routers incorporate a wireless access point, and routing can be disabled. Since a home network only requires one router to act as a gateway between the Internet and the home local area network (this being in your basement), wireless routers configured as repeaters in your network would have routing capabilities disabled, and in essence, would function like a wireless repeater (i.e. wireless access point with repeater functionality).
...and another wireless repeater or router in my wife's second floor office. Does that sound OK as a starting point?
Sounds alright. Follow the proposed network in my previous post and you should be alright.

Also to make clear, on the second floor, if you choose to buy and use a wireless router or wireless access point (instead of a dedicated wireless repeater), it needs to have repeater functionality. Not all wireless routers or wireless access points have wireless repeater functionality. Whether you buy a dedicated wireless repeater, or a wireless router / access point with repeater, is up to you. Cost and reliability are factors to consider. Check out product reviews online before deciding. I hope all this makes sense! :)

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The point of this discussion is to find out if I can do this without running wires throughout my house. I don't mind running a wire from my modem to a router here in the basement, but I don't want to run wires up through the floors or walls to the ground floor and then to my wife's second floor office. I am attempting to learn if it is possible to set up a "wireless" network using routers or repeaters on the ground floor and on the second floor. I would like to install a wireless repeater or router on the ground floor and another in the second floor office. No Wires. Can this be done?

Hi. Yes, in theory, it's possible to have an all wireless network (see the following diagram). Here, there is a wireless router in the basement and wireless repeaters on subsequent floors:

Home%20Network%20Diagram2.png

Just be aware that there's a possibility of the signal from the wireless router in the basement being unable to penetrate to the ground floor, depending on the material and thickness of the floor and surrounding obstructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom