Windows 7 on a Mac?

Manafel

Solid State Member
Hello, I wasn't quite sure if I should post this in the windows forum, or the mac forum, but here it goes.
I recently got hired as an IT tech for a small business. The guy before me was a genius(apparently) at IT and he was able to install Windows 7 onto a Mac(iMac21.5). I had thought that it was very bizarre that he could get windows to work on a mac. I assume he used some type of virtualization to get it to work. I asked one of my friends what he thought about it and he told me that if the computer crashes, I'm going to have an issue on my hands. I'm wondering what I should do(other than routine back ups) to keep from having major data loss in the event of a crash, or am I worrying about nothing? thanks!

Bootcamp or Parallels is usually what people use to install Windows alongside OSX on a Mac; nothing really special about it since it's Apple software.

Why exactly would you have an issue on your hands?

It's not a dual boot system though, granted I have not played around with it much as far as poking around. I would imagine just recovering the lost data? I'm not quite sure. I didn't think there was an issue before my friend said something.

If it's not being dual-booted, then it's just in a virtual machine. If you're worried about data loss, just make sure you make incremental backups of the important data.

Only other thing I could think of would be if you were to need to reinstall it, you'll need the Win7 key that was used. There's plenty of keyfinders out there for that, i.e. MagicJellyBean, WinKeyFinder, Belarc Advisor, etc.

Great, thanks for the help, I already do backups onto a separate hard drive, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have any major issues down the line.

Back
Top Bottom