Wayne's Experience with Mac OS X Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
Hey, I recently got a Sempron Palermo with SSE2 and SSE3 so I felt I should try Mac OS X on my machine. Here is my specs of my Macintosh:

AMD Sempron 2800+
1gb DDR Ram
Asus K8N-E Deluxe (nforce 3)
1x 200gb SATA (Windaz)
1x 250gb ATA (OSX)
Geforce 6600gt
Logitech USB Mouse
PS/2 Keyboard
DVD Burner
Windows XP Pro

I set up the empty 250gb drive in bios and inserted my OS X disc. It loaded up the installer fine. I then used the disk management tool to configure the hard drive as 1 large partition. It did not recognise any of my SATA devices. Once it was installed I booted up fine, however I could not type with my keyboard. So I rebooted into Windows and found the answer OS X does not like a hybrid of PS/2 and USB Keyboard and mice. So i replaced my Logitech USB mouse with a crappy old Dell PS/2 mouse with a ball. The keyboard now worked fine. I filled out my details then got to a nice pretty desktop. The first thing I noticed is Itunes, Safari and other programs on the dock. I also noticed how fast and responsive it is. It loaded all the native Intel programs with ease and speed. I restarted into Windows and went to Apple's site to download the updates and latest version of Itunes and some hacked drivers I wanted to try and install. I came back into OS X after an extremely quick bootup. I installed Itunes 6.0.4 and tried to install the Apple updates to 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 but they did not want to install. There are cracked version of the updates out there but im not bothering with them yet. I also tried to install some 3rd party beta network drivers and some 0.1 beta Nvidia graphics card drivers but they did nothing. I then inserted a Audio CD, Itunes popped up and started to play. Sound worked fine. Ripping also worked fine. But as you probably guessed network did not work at all so no internet.

Conclusion:
After thinking about my experience I have thought up these question to ask myself:

Is this a feasable replacement to Windows on a PC?
Yes - in time. Once some more 3rd party drivers for Nvidia cards and other network adapters are created this could become a very good option to get yourself a mac cheaply. However it is still difficult to get everything working. There are systems out there you can build for $300 USD that are reported to work flawlessly because of the similarity to the actual Apple Intel hardware. This is probably a better way of doing it.

Will this make me buy a Mac?
Yes, finally getting a go at using Mac OS X has conviced me that my next laptop for school will be a Intel Ibook once they are released probably with a Core Solo. A friend has a Ibook and it has great battery life and is great for office stuff.

Wayne

I to am expriementing with OSX86, but my dvd drive won't read the install disk...

grrr...

I am going to try and borrow a dvd drive from a friend and see if that works...., and...

I'll update on my progress as well...

yes

I have most of the amd patches...

and as of now... I don't even know if it will boot...

(on a side note: I have very little expireince with mac, apart from an old powerpc with os8.5)

My friend installed it on his machine (don't remember the specs) and it worked flawlessly. He could play doom 3 on ultra settings while xp only played on high. His wireless worked out of the box. It was fast and responsive too. When I build my new machine I am definatley trying it out.

wow this is very new to me. i thought only intel machine can be converted to mac...but anyway, im a loooong time mac user just built a first windows machine. i wanna try this sometimes. is there any good info or forum that shows me how to do this? can i just get another HD and install OSX? and yes, OSX pwns windows in every aspect.

NNNNOOOOOO!!!!

won't run for me....

my processor doesn't support sse2 or 3...

I knew that might be a problem...

oh well... I guess I'll have to wait for a new patch or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom