virus attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Windows operating system is very vulnerable to viruses because of how easy it is to write a virus for its DOS based system.

Macintosh isn't as vulnerable because it is based on Unix and it is much more difficult to write an effective virus for Unix.

Macs can still be attacked by would-be viruses, but there's never been reports of a successful attempt at a full-blown 'virus' for Mac. Typically, the only thing Macs have to worry about are extremely uncommon trojans, but the trojans are unable to activate themselves and require input by the user to be activated which makes them a very very small threat.

Also, something to add.

like it or not, windows is out there, a lot more than MacOS. Black hats are going to focus their efforts more on where they can do the most damage. Yes, UNIX has helped security, but the same thing goes that it doesn't matter what OS you run, if you don't know how to lock it down, its going to be as vulnerable as any other.

BTW:::Viva La Linux

Mac can also be hacked.....why....i was runnign gdb one day...and it started referencing addresses that were nowhere near part of the assembly of my program......

Mac os uses the classic sudo command...
While in windows, you have to make another user account and restrict its access so you cant execute stand alone apps....which will make it pretty secure....

LOL, *sigh* ya. Quick change of subject, has anyone been watching those commercials. They are pretty good.

K, back to matter at hand. I used to be a large supporter of Windows, very stanch and stubborn. That was until I had discovered Linux. I have been looking at MacOS X. My parents are about due for a new machine, and I have been considering Mac's. Probably the security is better, I think they opened a few doors though going with an Intel chip. Just due to the fact that so many virus's are targeted at Windows, which is optimized for the Intel chip. On the flip side, I like the different chip support. I just think more software will need to come out for MacOS X before it becomes *really* effective.

Question: Where can a guy get a copy of just MacOS X 10.4? I have a Pentium III with 512 mb of Ram that I would love to try it on. Very interested in a test drive.

ok, I wasn't sure what sse2 and sse3. What are some of the chips that do have those.....instructions?

thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom