Use iPhone as TV - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Apple and Mac
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Use iPhone as TV

I was curious if there is anyway I could plug my consoles into my phone and use it as a TV. thanks

Pizzalord909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Use iPhone as TV

You mean use your iPhone as a display for a game console?

No.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
You mean use your iPhone as a display for a game console?

No.
Are positive. I'm sure I saw a picture of someone using an android like this.
Pizzalord909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzalord909 View Post
Are positive. I'm sure I saw a picture of someone using an android like this.
Android != iPhone

And that would only work if the device has an input, or somehow can utilize the micro USB as an input.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
The strange one

If your TV supports HDMI there is a Lightning to HDMI adapter for 30-50$. I've have used mine a lot. It actually just puts your phone display to video out. So you can do anything from show pictures, show emails, or really anything thats on the screen of your phone goes to the screen of the HDMI capable TV.

So Netflix, Amazon, whatever TV streaming service you use can go right to the TV. Streaming is typically battery intensive so the adapter mentioned above has a place to power your device while using it on the TV.

My Twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/iParanormalx
Stop by sometime!
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParanormal View Post
If your TV supports HDMI there is a Lightning to HDMI adapter for 30-50$. I've have used mine a lot. It actually just puts your phone display to video out. So you can do anything from show pictures, show emails, or really anything thats on the screen of your phone goes to the screen of the HDMI capable TV.

So Netflix, Amazon, whatever TV streaming service you use can go right to the TV. Streaming is typically battery intensive so the adapter mentioned above has a place to power your device while using it on the TV.
OP wants the opposite - the iPhone to be used as the display from some output (in this case a game console).

Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
The strange one

Oh damn yea I should have read that more clearly.

Then you would need some sort of HDMI interface like a Slingbox. Slingbox is a device that you plug your HDMI into, and connect it to the network. Then use your phone or computer view the video either on your local network or over the internet. Its advertised as a TV on the go. So, as for gaming, the latency from that conversion over the network might make games unplayable.

Also there was a recent update for Slingbox Apps that puts ads all over the place and a lot of customers that bought the box at a few hundred dollars are pissed because they're forced to pay for cable, or their video game, and see ads to even view it... tsk tsk

My Twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/iParanormalx
Stop by sometime!
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Damn ads... that was suppose to be the whole point of pay TV in the first place was to get rid of commercials and not have to interrupt shows. Now? Only the "premiums" do that, and they even still have ads, though much more limited than the rest of the networks. Greedy bastards...

/derail

Sorry about that. On with the discussion!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
Damn ads... that was suppose to be the whole point of pay TV in the first place was to get rid of commercials and not have to interrupt shows. Now? Only the "premiums" do that, and they even still have ads, though much more limited than the rest of the networks. Greedy bastards...

/derail

Sorry about that. On with the discussion!
#BBCMasterRace

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I use android on Note, and I can mirror it on my TV (Samsung Smart TV)
I don't know if it is possible on iPhone, but Google for any mirroring apps between iOS and TV

m.pajtim@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote