Upgrading Graphics Card of MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odin5578

Solid State Member
Ok first lets start of by saying, I know nothing about Macs. I've decided to buy a Mac Laptop for college, now the one I'm looking at doesn't have that great of a video card so I was wondering if it could be upgraded.

Now the chipset that comes with it is a:
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

So, I've looked at the specs of the chipset:
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/

The site states under upgradabilty that it can be upgraded with a PCI Express x16 for extreme gaming. Now my question is this: Can the Mac laptop be upgraded (the video card upgraded or even added) to play games. I've never heard of upgrading the video card of a notebook...
I probly won't use it much for gaming, but I don't want to buy it if I'm not 100% comfortable.

and I got one more question...
which is better

2GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB Ram
60 GB Harddrive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

or

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB Ram
60GB Harddrive
DVD-Rom, CD-RW

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=3E78BC84&nclm=MacBook
(Btw: the second option I have listed here is the first laptop advertised on the site, but when you fill out the form you can add extra ram and I chose to do so.)

Keep in mind I want to do a little gaming with this. The game I'm currently trying to fit specs for the Mac version of Quake 4. I'm siding towards the second choice more ram and a little less Processor. You guys know more about Macs so you know more of what it needs, as I'm a noob.

We all gotta start somewhere :).

There is not way you can upgrade the video card. You're better off getting the 2Ghz refirbished Macbook Pro (because it has a 256mb video card instead of 128mbs like the new ones)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...vRsLxI/1.0.0.19.1.0.8.7.3.5.1.1.0.1.5.1.1.5.0

I'm actually considering picking up one of these right now. Would save me 500 bucks, but instead of 2.16Ghz, a 2.0Ghz, big deal. 160mhz. 500 bucks!

About Quake 4 - From the benchmarks I've seen (as I too am in the market) the Windows version of Quake 4 runs about 10 frames per second faster thant the Mac version. This is on the 256mb Macbook Pro. You can get around 80 frames per second on really really low graphics, and 40 on high. Ultra is really out of the question ... though I wish it weren't. What I really wish is that these babies came with Geforce Go 7800's. Then Ultra would be doable.

Hope this helps, dispite my rambling.

Ramble on brother :)

I'm kind of scared of Refirbrished systems. I use to be a huge gamer, I could beat any game you gave me in a day and I could tell you all the new games the system requirements etc etc. But lately I've kind of directed my priorities elsewhere. About a month ago I purchased a Refurbrished PS2 now it ran great for about a week and then all of a sudden it just shut down on me, I got my money back, but still the fear has been set.

Money is slow coming in so I'm really picky about what I buy, so when I do buy I want it to be good.

Do you think the system I've been looking at could run Black and White? If I have one decent game then I'm happy. Or maybe you can restablish my faith in refurbrished systems :).

Ramblin on!

Perhaps you aren't familiar with Apple :p

Sony wants to make a buck, Apple wants to put out a good product.

I wouldn't worry about it being refurbished.

Refurbished Apple Mac computers are very very stable and solid systems. Knowing Macs pretty much inside and out, I can honestly say that unlike other computer systems, they rarely die. I've got systems 30 years old that still run stable. As for the newer systems, they are rock solid good builds and when any problem arises, Apple is usually quick to recall or offer extended warranties against specific problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom