Updating Firmware after initializing drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mothernurse

Beta member
Hello,
I have an old IMac, clear/turquoise color, 32MB memory. System was freezing repeatedly. Decided to reinstall OS but did not have old disks (I believe it was on OS 8.1 or lower but am not certain about this). I booted from an OS 9.2 CD by holding down the C key on boot. I used drive set up and initialized the hard drive using the Zero all data option. This went fine. Then when I went to install OS 9.2, I got an error message stating that the firmware is out of date and to update it using the firmare update utility on the CD. The system won't allow firmware update and says that I need to reboot to an "unlocked drive". Well, there is no OS on the hard drive, so it is therefore impossible to boot from anything but the CD right now. I have tried to install 8.6, which is the furthest OS back that I have in my possession. It still gives me the problem that the firmware needs to be updated prior to OS install and tells me to boot from an unlocked drive. I am stuck! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Try reformatting again. Just a straight reformat, dont zero out the drive. Then see what happens.

Just tried it. The initialization completed quickly and said that it was successful. But I still get the message to restart from an unlocked volume when I try to update the firmware, and I can't install OS 8.6 or 9 without updating the firmware. :(

Thanks anyways! Looks like I need to try hard to find the original system disks. If I can just get any OS on there, I could do the firmaware update, but I can't get any OS 8.6 or above to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom