Transfering songs to a new iTunes account without authorization of previous account? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Apple and Mac
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Transfering songs to a new iTunes account without authorization of previous account?

I currently share an iTunes account with my family and would like to make my own, however I have ~1500 songs that need to be transferred. I've read about the method where you transfer the songs and then use your old account to authorize them to be played on that computer, but I hesitate to do that because I would lose all my music if somebody else on the old account accidentally deauthorized my computer. I checked and all of my music is DRM free, so if I uploaded it using something like Sharepod would that remove the need for authorization? I'm looking for a way for the old music to basically become part of the new account, similar to if I had uploaded it from a CD.

I use a PC with Windows 8.1, I currently have iTunes 11.2.2.3, and my iPod is a 120GB Classic.

Lunapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Default Re: Transfering songs to a new iTunes account without authorization of previous account?

If the songs are DRM free, then you shouldn't need to authorize it at all. I would advise you to transfer a handful of songs (5-10) and test them on the new machine. If they don't ask for authorization, then you're golden. If they do, then it's just tied to your iTunes account. All you need is the password to authorize the device, so you shouldn't lose anything.

MidnightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Transfering songs to a new iTunes account without authorization of previous account?

I would officially definitely not recommend downloading them from YouTube using an add-on that may or may not exist already in Firefox.
cb600fshornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
The strange one

Diskaid is a software i used to get music off of a few friends apple devices. It can get music, photos, videos and allow you to import the music into any itunes library and sync to another device. I have hundreds of gigs of local media because of Diskaid. Back then i spent 30$ on it.. now it looks like its 40$ and the name changed to imazing (https://imazing.com/)
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Night Ninja

I'm confused about what's happening here. If it needs to be transferred from the iPod to a computer, then yes, Diskaid, Senuti, etc would be good. If he's just trying to authorize the computer to play the music, however, there shouldn't be an issue seeing as it's DRM free. Just sign in with the account.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
I'm confused about what's happening here. If it needs to be transferred from the iPod to a computer, then yes, Diskaid, Senuti, etc would be good. If he's just trying to authorize the computer to play the music, however, there shouldn't be an issue seeing as it's DRM free. Just sign in with the account.
Could argue that it's technically not DRM free then, but rather the DRM is the account .

The old school way around DRM used to be burning to a CD and then re-ripping using different software to basically bypass the DRM lol.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
The strange one

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Could argue that it's technically not DRM free then, but rather the DRM is the account .

The old school way around DRM used to be burning to a CD and then re-ripping using different software to basically bypass the DRM lol.
^^

I think diskaid and such software have similiar-to-CD effect in this sense because I know for a fact some of the media I got from friends apple devices had content purchased on itunes.. and using Diskaid to transfer that media I didn't even think about licensing/DRM. I think its a shady area legally and for the forums rules lol.
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParanormal View Post
I think its a shady area legally and for the forums rules lol.
There's a disclaimer, at least use to be, with Senuti that it was for retrieving your personal iTunes music only in case of an emergency etc etc etc... there's always a loophole.

Tags
ipod, ipod classic, itunes, sharepod