Transfering Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAttack123

Solid State Member
I have an Ibook g4. And recently I dropped it and damaged the hard drive. It ran for a little while after that, but now it won't even start up. The computer turns on and the gears turn but the screen just stays blank. It dosn't go to the login screen. I want to try to save some of the information before I get a new hard drive. And I was told that maybe I could run my Ibook onto my G5 with a firewire. If so, how could I do this? Also, please note that I have a limited understanding of computers so it would be appriciated if answers were "dumbed down" a bit :D

you just need to get a 6pin to 6pin FireWire cable and plug it in to another OS X macintosh. Then you can enter 'target disk' mode. If the hard drive isn't too badly damaged, you may be able to save your files. If not, you can always take it to an apple store and they'll take care of it for you. ;)

Eh, I'm trying to avoid the mac store as much as possible. Because my files are not encrypted and there's just stuff on my computer that I don't want other people seeing. :confused:

Pull the harddrive out, plug it into a linux box and
Code:
mount -hfsplus /dev/hd? /mnt
Copy the data to a DVD or whatever, problem solved. :)

The only real thing I care about on my computer is Some pictures, some word documents, and my music. Now, If I dicide to just get a new hard drive, will I be able to load my music from my ipod back on to my computer? (just in case my other methods don't work)

But also, I might get a new computer all together. Is there a way to get my songs back on to a new computer?

Just download www.knoppix.net and burn it to a CD, then put it in the CD drive of any Windows computer, restart and boom its a Linux box.

Make sure you plug the harddrive in before you boot to Knoppix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom