Thoughts on Snow Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, I suppose I should clarify;

0 downtime AND 0 preventive measures AND 0 slowdowns - until recently, but I just started running CS4 and iMovie HD a lot more.

That's just not possible even on XP.

I would suggest running the log rotation scripts (periodic) and repairing permissions, after installing a lot of software that usually speeds up my Mac :)

Can I ask a serious question? What's the deal with charging people $100 every time Mac OS X comes out with a major update? I mean, if the OS really isn't changing much, why charge people? And if it is changing a lot, why not call it OS 11 instead of 10.5.6?

Sorry, I just always was confused by this and recently purchased 4 copies of 10.5.6 to replace 10.3.9 software. A 0.1.6 difference just seems silly to pay for.

Yes I do agree that some OS versions were rather useless for an entire new version, but unlike windows where the service packs change a large chunk of an existing technology, the OS X releases replace a lot of underlying systems with new ones, but in general Apple just likes to rip off fan-boys :p these days I buy OS X so i can support my clients properly and get better jobs (employers like you more when you can support even the "artsy" people in the marketing and graphics departments :p)

lol. OS X means "OS 'unix'"... built on BSD or whatever.

Each "iteration" 10.3 10.4 and 10.5 is using a different kernel.

it's not just an "update". Okay, sure they are mostly the same, but hey, who cares?

Also, as technology and demands change and adapt you need to have support for those. many things that run on 10.3 will not run on 10.5 and so on.

Ahem... OS "X" stands for OS 10 (roman numeral) NOT X for unix :p (for those older Mac people like myself the OS has been numbered like 2-9 before it moved to this unix based less-proprietary system base). Those changes are imposed by Apple, since their user base is more tightly controlled they can do this (even if it is mean and costly to the consumer), if they had a user base like Microsoft everyone would leave Windows development, it would be a nightmare!

Well if you think about it, if Microsoft ends up continuing their traditional retail cycle (a release every 3 years) ... it would end up averaging at almost $100 every year ... so actually it's not that absurd now that I think about it.

Oh BTW, when you getting home?

When is Snow Leopard due to be released?

I'll wait to get my new MacBook til that comes standard.

Speaking of, I remember using the new macbooks was really annoying because the touch pad was so finicky. Have they fixed that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom