Switch? PBook 15 or 17'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HazelGirl

Beta member
I am THINKING about making the seitch....not because I have had a whole bunch o fbad experiences with Windows...but because I would lik eto try something different and make sure I get a good laptop that will last for a god long while and has a good international warranty.

I will be studying abroad for a year in France.....so portability is a plus.

I need the larger screen, but my budget may have to settle for the 15''...but I heared that the 15 inchers are the ones that have most of the problems and not the 17 inchers??? What's up with that?

Also, if I get Virtual PC...will I be able to download and run the Windows version sof Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger? I woudl only download it because the Windows version has voice chat and that is a must while I am overseas...as that will be cheaper and more doable for friends and fmaily back in the states to contact me instead of calling me. I heard that you HAVE to also install a Windows OS in order for it to work--is that true??? I do not want to install VPC and then XP Pro on top of it...I know that will bog down my system!

Also, I would be using the Mac mainly for these things:

Internet browsing
word processing
minimal photo projects (May put together a compilation of my yearabroad with pictures and sound files...thats about it though)

Thanks...

The 15 incher should suit you fine. The size difference between the two is negligible enough to not really bother any normal human with its size/carry weight. The max weight is like 6 pounds for an Apple Powerbook. Thats a pretty good weight for any traveler. So pretty much the only factor is price. Both have more than sufficient performance to run anything youve described.

About Virutal PC - yes you do need a full copy of the Windows OS to run it. But tihs does not bog down your performance like you think it does. Instead Virtual PC just acts as a sort of middle man between the Mac components and the Windows OS that is being virtually run. Performance is crap on no matter what machine you run it on, but it should be adequite enough to run MSN through. Virtual PC is packaged toinclude a copy of the Windows OS (I believe it is XP home, though if you already own Pro that can be used without any problem). If you need help installing anything on Virtual PC if you ever get it, Ill gladly help you out (Private message me).

The 15 inch screen fabrication process hit snags early on with white spots and dead pixels. This has been almost completely sorted out and I havent of these problems occuring for a solid couple months.

One thing I'll say is that you don't need VPC to run MSN messenger. But you may need it for yahoo. I have MSN on my iMac and it works fine. It's the Mac version and it has most of the features of the windoze version. But I'm not sure on Yahoo, i've never tried d/l ing it, but I do know that Mac's work with Yahoo games chatrooms and I also know that the IM system is the same thing. So i'm guessing there is a mac-compatible Yahoo.

And portability would definitely go for the 15 incher. Most companies make their Laptop carry cases for the 15 inchers and you would have to special order one for the 17 incher. but G5 is right, there really isn't much difference between how you would use them.

Thanks...I just want to the CompUSA store and played with both....but I also messed with the ibook. I don't know which one I liked better....all I know is that the ibook is cheaper but lacks the backlit keybaord and has a smaller screen.....it was neat to play with them though.....I was here so long that I missed the first bus back home...lol

edit: forgot to mention that I like the fact atht teh pbooks have the superdrive option....AAAAAARRGGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom