Should I get a mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mac Mini is basically an out of date computer sold to the mac users who don't have gobs of money...

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but your initial assumption about macs is closer than most of the responses...macs aren't just for the "computer challenged", but for people who don't want their pc use to be complex. I run linux because I enjoy total and absolute control of my system. Windows users enjoy both a decent amount of control, and a decent amount of usability. It comes out to a *decent* product in all regards, but not fantastic in either, which is why it gets so insulted. Then macs have very little flexibility or control, but alot of usability. The things they can do are hassle free, but don't expect to be doing as much.

If you buy a mac mini to run windows, you're wasting your money ;) Mac Minis are comparable to the PCs you see on Craigslist for ~$150 except they'll run you $600...old processors, very little ram, small hard drives...

The MacBooks are well designed pieces of hardware on the outside. That said, the inside is almost exactly like a PC...and people who tell you "you get what you pay for" are either full of **** or just not very bright. Guess who makes the mac processors? Intel. Guess who makes the PC processors? Intel. Guess who makes mac video cards? Nvidia. Guess who makes Vid cards for the PC? Nvidia.

The Macbooks are nice because they're sturdy...but there are just as sturdy PC laptops like the IBM thinkpad.

The Mac Mini is basically an out of date computer sold to the mac users who don't have gobs of money...

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but your initial assumption about macs is closer than most of the responses...macs aren't just for the "computer challenged", but for people who don't want their pc use to be complex. I run linux because I enjoy total and absolute control of my system. Windows users enjoy both a decent amount of control, and a decent amount of usability. It comes out to a *decent* product in all regards, but not fantastic in either, which is why it gets so insulted. Then macs have very little flexibility or control, but alot of usability. The things they can do are hassle free, but don't expect to be doing as much.

If you buy a mac mini to run windows, you're wasting your money ;) Mac Minis are comparable to the PCs you see on Craigslist for ~$150 except they'll run you $600...old processors, very little ram, small hard drives...

The MacBooks are well designed pieces of hardware on the outside. That said, the inside is almost exactly like a PC...and people who tell you "you get what you pay for" are either full of **** or just not very bright. Guess who makes the mac processors? Intel. Guess who makes the PC processors? Intel. Guess who makes mac video cards? Nvidia. Guess who makes Vid cards for the PC? Nvidia.

The Macbooks are nice because they're sturdy...but there are just as sturdy PC laptops like the IBM thinkpad.

Well said brinson.

Mac mini is basically a poor mans apple comp. The only reason why one would buy a mac mini is for the OS. Maybe

Go ahead and attack me - I'm an Apple fan. So are some of these people. So you might as well attack them all. And while you're at it, go laugh at the people in the Linux section. And a few in the Windows section, too.

how on earth was that an attack?! dude you are way too paranoid. i was just stating that you getting shirty about someone saying the mini was a waste of money is a bit unnecessary.

i do also just find mac fanboys funny. the mac i own hangs more than a dude smoking bud.

in answer to the title of this thread. NO, unless you want to lead a boring life without viruses or windows crashing and complaining

In an ideal world people would have lots of money, and everybody would have a mac end of story. Mac's are what window's will never be. I love my pc for the fact that it gives me something to do on the hot summer days when I'm inside in my nice air conditioned room, and I get to ***K around with it. Mac's have the cleanest interface, they have the best cosmetics in terms of classy looks and thier seamless looks. (Mac Pro's have 1 effing cord.) Mac's are really for the artistic person who needs lots of power to use resource intense programs like photoshop, final cut, etc... Also if you don't like to mess around with your PC and figure out whats happening, and don't want to call the poor indian people (no negativity, but its true, they can't speak english) and you can shell out the extra money, then the mac is for you. If you want bang for your buck and don't mind troubleshooting your pc then go with a pc, either custom made from HP/Compaq, Dell (I will have to kill myself for telling someone to get a dell) Alienware (if you want gaming and want to shell out money for no apparent reason) or something like that.

In simple terms, Macs > Pc's.

Haha, no...

If I won the lottery, I'd build an expensive pc...not buy a mac...

Photoshop runs just as well on pc as it does mac ;) Used it for countless hours on both...and Final Cut is nothing compared to avid- nothing. More in line with Adobe Premiere...

I don't have to "figure out what's happening" because I'm smart enough to understand...

Mac is just a proprietary operating system sold on a more expensive PC. The hardware, itself, is almost idential. Its the Mac OS + the looks you pay for. And, IMO, some of the gaming PCs look much better than macs...

If you want Mac OS, buy a mac...but don't expect it to be better or worse than any other pc...just a different OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom