Should I buy a Macbook?

I've ordered my MacBook Pro! It's due to arrive next Tuesday. Can't wait! I wasn't very impressed with the new Pros Apple announced on Tuesday so I had a look through the refurb store and found last years model at a good price with a 2.9 GHZ i7 processor, 8Gb RAM and 750GB hard drive. This beats paying much more for a retina model with 2.5 GHZ i5, 4GB RAM and 128 GB of storage! ;)

Dang. Nice :tongue: One of my friends ordered a refurb 15" MBP and loved it. Although if I were you I'd slap an SSD in that thing. SSDs are so nice.

MillField said:
Can't wait! I wasn't very impressed with the new Pros Apple announced on Tuesday so I had a look through the refurb store and found last years model at a good price with a 2.9 GHZ i7 processor, 8Gb RAM and 750GB hard drive
Good call to wait. You always get the best deals when retailers are trying to dump older stock.

I think the main thing is that laptops in general, whether it be a PC laptop or Macbook just aren't ever as powerful as a desktop. If you really want a powerful, reliable machine then you aren't going to find one in a laptop.

I personally own a desktop PC and a Macbook Pro. After two years of owning and using the Macbook I am still a PC person 100%. I only use the Macbook when I can't use my PC for some reason, it's just not as good. My macbook overheats and easily crashes if it has to run anything too heavy.

It's fine for browsing the internet, checking emails, using a word processor etc, but I wouldn't recommend a macbook for anything heavier than that. Mine sometimes crashes even just using photoshop.

EDIT: I just noticed that you've already ordered it. In that case good luck.

Dang. Nice :tongue: One of my friends ordered a refurb 15" MBP and loved it. Although if I were you I'd slap an SSD in that thing. SSDs are so nice.

SSDs are very nice indeed, but a tad expensive :/ I really just wanted to make sure that I had enough storage. 128GB on the new entry level MacBook Pro is a bit ridiculous!

I think the main thing is that laptops in general, whether it be a PC laptop or Macbook just aren't ever as powerful as a desktop. If you really want a powerful, reliable machine then you aren't going to find one in a laptop.

I personally own a desktop PC and a Macbook Pro. After two years of owning and using the Macbook I am still a PC person 100%. I only use the Macbook when I can't use my PC for some reason, it's just not as good. My macbook overheats and easily crashes if it has to run anything too heavy.

It's fine for browsing the internet, checking emails, using a word processor etc, but I wouldn't recommend a macbook for anything heavier than that. Mine sometimes crashes even just using photoshop.

EDIT: I just noticed that you've already ordered it. In that case good luck.

I'll take my chances! A few friends of mine have them and find them great for programming, which is mainly what I will be using mine for.

Good call to wait. You always get the best deals when retailers are trying to dump older stock.

I could have bought it two months ago, but I wanted to wait until the new Pros were announced in case they were awesome/affordable. Unfortunately you have to fork out quite a bit more for my storage/processing needs.

I'll take my chances! A few friends of mine have them and find them great for programming, which is mainly what I will be using mine for.

Ah okay, it should be okay for programming I think. I study animation and design subjects and the software I have to use for those often crash my mac. But I doubt programming software is as intense for the computer as design type ones are.

Just out of curiosity has anyone had much experience with UPS deliveries? Are they usually good at finding addresses? I live in pretty much the middle of nowhere and have had the occasional problem with deliveries from eBay and whatnot.

It really depends on how things turn out in your area.

I've never had any issues with UPS/FedEx/USPS delivering to the wrong address or mishandling my package, but I know some people have had major issues in the past.

I was thinking about updating my MacBook, but I think I'll hold off. I was really hoping for an updated 13" or 15" model without the retina display. I worked on a retina MacBook Pro and the display was AMAZING, but not being able to upgrade my RAM, needing to buy a preparatory SSD, no optical drive, and no Ethernet jack has veered me away for now. Maybe after the next refresh 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM will be the standard.

If only Apple would keep the old form factor and add the retina display.

Back
Top Bottom