Seriously considering the 'jump'

Status
Not open for further replies.

tqualizerman

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little advice...I am about to put together a new desktop system which is going to be doing mid range video editing and graphic work,

Most of the companies I do business supply their files to me from Mac systems, and I am getting a little annoyed with having to worry about conversion and loss of fonts, etc, etc, etc.

I'm also sick of windows crashing on me when I ask a little too much of it.

Has anyone made this jump recently, I would love to hear about any of the complications that may come along with it.

Thanks!

Well you don't have to be too afraid with the new intel macs. you can dual boot windows if you want.

OSX is an incredible piece of software that is inherently easier to use than windows. the only problem i have and ive been brought up on macs all my life is that sometimes things are so simple to do you would never think of it. One I can remember recently was trying to remove an icon from the dock. I tried right clicking it and no option like that came up. All you have to do is drag and drop the icon off of the dock or onto the trash.

That's something I'm considering a huge plus, the dual boot option.

I was brought up on your regular DOS and Windows based PCs all my life, going back to the old black and green/tangerine coloured screens.

My needs are changing, and I've always been told how great Macs are for graphic and video editing...can anyone testify to that??

tqualizerman said:
That's something I'm considering a huge plus, the dual boot option.

I was brought up on your regular DOS and Windows based PCs all my life, going back to the old black and green/tangerine coloured screens.

My needs are changing, and I've always been told how great Macs are for graphic and video editing...can anyone testify to that??

All the best software is for Mac, that's what makes them better...

That makes sense.

One of the things that kills me with my PC is the the lag time between commands...ayaya.

I know with a better built PC I could probably resolve this, but maybe its time to give it a try.

Has anyone had any experience with the dual boot between Mac and PC? Very interested to hear about this.

Each to his own. Both OS's have their advantages and disadvantages. You have to wade past the bandwagon nonsense and look at what works best for you.

One of my best friends spends all day in Linux. My GF spends all day on a Mac. Both have a Windows machine at home, because while their work requires a different environment, they like the features and software they can have with their Windows machines. It's not a hate thing. OS's are just tools. You find the one that works best for the task, and use it.

Plus there's the world of Apple Gaming

Yeah, I used to have a MacBook Pro and I had Windows and Mac OS X on it, I also dual booted with Mac OS X and Ubuntu Linux, and they all worked very well.

Running Windows XP or Vista (they both work, I tried them both) is just like running Windows XP or Vista on a PC. All the hardware works, even the built-in camera and what not, and all software for Windows works on it. Linux was a bit more difficult to get working right, but I had it working fine, just that I didn't have any sound, oh well.

But yeah, Windows works exactly the same on a Mac as it does on a regular high end PC.

Very nice...

The idea seems to get more and more appealing as more of this info comes in.

Thanks for you insight guys!

Been a few days since I bought a game...maybe a week...so I guess in that time the number of games for Apple has gone up.

Hmm, I guess it might also be true that the number of games that exist for Linux and Apple but not PC, have gone up as well. There's what? 8 or 9 now? I retreat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom