RipCode Enables Clientless Adobe Flash Video on Apple iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Source

RICHARDSON, Texas – April 12, 2010 – RipCode, Inc., the leader in transactional transcoding, announced today its newest product, the TransAct Transcoder V6 can intercept Adobe Flash-based file or live video requests and convert them to a container, video codec, and audio codec accepted by Apple Inc.'s new iPad – all transparently to the end user device and without the need for any pre-transcoding or device-based client.

While not released yet, I can see this as a good thing. The real question is not if it can be done, but rather will Jobs allow it to continue or will he have his cult members patch the iPad so as to not allow it to use it.

He probably will try to block it. If flash content works on the iPad, it would kill a large amount of profit from the app store.
Apple want you to buy a program for every little piece of functionality you want.

I think it would be better if the world did get rid of flash and replaced it with something better (html 5?); it is slow, bloated, not to mention the lack of competition Adobe has. but I don't think that's why Apple isn't supporting it. That's just a convenient excuse for them.

Hi,

This seems promising, at least as an 'intermediate solution'.

Details on whether it involves an application on server side, or both server and client side is not yet known. But I'm hoping that it's entirely on the server side, and transcodes flash media to an iPad compatible video / audio format in complete transparency - it would be conceivable in this instance that Apple would not be able to prevent the use of RipCode, since all that's being delivered to the browser is the media itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom