Replacing iPod hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadModderModa

Solid State Member
I have an older iPod and its got a 4 giger, so does anyone know how to replace the HDD with a bigger one? I have done research on it and read other threads all over the net but I havent found anyone who could help. The unit is PC format.

if its like the battery replacement issue, it involves surgery, probably not worth it, those things are essentially disposable

You could do it, technically, using any 1.8" hard drive, but I would just buy a new iPod. If you open an iPod, its a mess of wires and things that Ive heard are very, very hard to move, let alone replace in the correct manner.

The headache alone is worth just replacing it if you can. If you cant afford to replace the entire unit, then I wouldnt suggest you go ruin your current one.

Hmm well the reason I ask is cuz basicly I want to know how to copy and transplant the iPod OS onto another HDD. If you have any info on that it would be a big help, thanx.

Really? So just ghost it and boom? Can I then just put the ghosted copy (on the new HDD right) into a PC and then just boot it up and the iPod OS will boot and work? I have a copy of Norton Ghost would that work, or can you recomend an imaging prog for this?

MadModderModa said:
Really? So just ghost it and boom? Can I then just put the ghosted copy (on the new HDD right) into a PC and then just boot it up and the iPod OS will boot and work? I have a copy of Norton Ghost would that work, or can you recomend an imaging prog for this?

It wont boot the iPod OS (you need the iPod's special ROM for that one), but Im 99% sure you can make an exact copy of the iPod's disk using a utility such as Norton Ghost.

Kool, but is there a way I can get the OS to boot? Maybe coppying the ROM or substituing a copy cat program made for that purpose.

MadModderModa said:
Kool, but is there a way I can get the OS to boot? Maybe coppying the ROM or substituing a copy cat program made for that purpose.

No, the iPod OS is for sole use on an iPod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom