Ram upgrade on Macbook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I upgraded a MBP today, which had 2x512mb and upgraded it to 2x2GB chips which it does support according to Apples site and Apple Forums. Ram is the same exact speed, but different manu and different size.

When its powered on, all you hear is the jingle, hdd activity and no video. Tried one stick of the new ram and the same, tried different slot, same thing, switched ram around, same thing. So then I put the original back in, same thing! 1 stick, 2 sticks, different slot combos, same results. I then tried the rest pram or whatever its called but pressing a certain key combo and the power button, but nothing happens. I made sure to touch the chassis before installing as suggested by Apple. Also tried to reset several times using more force than usual because they say sometimes the contacts dont make contact so I made sure they were in contact.

Thoughts?

Just before we started this, I told my HR Manager which this is his Mac, watch this thng blue screen or give out some error beep codes, sure enough it screwed up.:whistle:

Does it have the nvidia graphics? I've heard people having problems with it. Try using an externel monitor to see if you can get something up. Assuming it does have the nvidia m8600gt, they have high failure rate and apple extended the warranty for an additional 2 years I think.

You don't hold down the power button when you do the pram reset.

Hold down Command Option P R and then press the power button once. You'll hear the startup chime, keep holding the keys down. After a bit (10-25 seconds) you should hear the chime again, then release the keys.

Also, remove the power cord and battery and press the power button a few times to drain any excess charge.

If you've done the above two things and it still doesn't work try holding down Command and S while booting. Should get you into single user mode so you can do a fsck -f -y on the hdd.

^ Wow I think its easier to find a certain lady spot then do that...

edit: I made a slightly questionable joke with GH references to whammy bars and star power, but I don't think I should keep it posted lol. Just in case... (I have a history of infractions for just such occasions as these haha)

He got the Mac today and they said the board went out, replaced it free of charge and he is good to go.:umm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom